During update...mac shut down

Reaction score
hey guys, i've got a serious issue

During an update my macbook pro shut down, i had a dodgy charger, hence the reason. I got it to work again, it loaded fine, did some work on it and then turned it off. In the morning it wouldn't start up, so i booted into the install side, tried using the disk utility, showed some errors, repaired it, tried to reboot it still the same problem, it gets stuck at the blue screen. So what i done so far is, its got two partitions on it atm, and i have just formatted one of the partitions so i can reinstall os leopard there and its taking years :(. And i intend to solve the hdd issue somehow.

Any suggestions or ideas, to what i can do?

Much Appreciated for the help.

Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Any chance you can use firewire to boot it up in target disk mode to recover your files and do a fresh install?

However your solution with installing the OS on another partition should work, just give it time to install.

OP
J
Reaction score
Any chance you can use firewire to boot it up in target disk mode to recover your files and do a fresh install?

However your solution with installing the OS on another partition should work, just give it time to install.

Going out now to buy a firewire cable and then do a fresh install.

The formatting is taking so much time its unbelievable :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
How big is the drive you are formatting and how long has it been running?

OP
J
Reaction score
How big is the drive you are formatting and how long has it been running?

its a 160gb HDD, only formatting 70GB of it as im trying to preserve the rest of the data on the other partition.

I tried connecting it via firewire, to a toshiba laptop and i cant do it :( says theres a error code 42 (on my toshiba laptop which runs windows xp)

OP
J
Reaction score
i've sorted out the issue for it taking its time to format, its because of the name lol. Erm now i have a issue, where it says you cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot Start up from this volume.

OP
J
Reaction score
Got it to start up by, restoring it to a previous back up lol, but the problem sort of still exists, every time u shut down and turn it on, it gets stuck at the blue screen for a while, and then starts up...i've come to a conclusion that the hdd is messed up

so i shall hopefully be replacing it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
You can always run Disk Utility to check the drive for errors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.