• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I could use your opinions, please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Personally, I think that first commentor is just having a bad day. Nothing on your site is that risque from what I can see.

The second commentor does bring up a valid point though. I did notice that quite a good bit of the images on your site are from www.macdesktops.com.
I don't see anywhere on your site where you credit the artists, or even MacDesktops for that matter. Technically you are in violation of the Usage Policy for MacDesktops, as you are not linking the images directly to MacDesktops.
MacDesktops Usage Policy said:
We have had problems with people copying all of the pictures from the site and posting them as their own. No fun.

With any picture from MacDesktops, you may:

use it as a desktop picture,
scale, distort or composite it for usage on your web site provided that you give credit to MacDesktops AND any applicable author, and provide a link to MacDesktops (NOTE: this does not mean use an entire picture "AS IS"),
submit a screen capture of your computer for posting on any web site provided that you give credit to MacDesktops AND any applicable author, and, if possible, provide a link to MacDesktops,
post thumbnails from MacDesktops on your web site provided that the thumbnails link to MacDesktops and not directly to the images.

You may NOT:

use pictures from MacDesktops in any way other than those listed above without first receiving permission from MacDesktops,
post full size copies of pictures from MacDesktops,
post thumbnails of pictures from MacDesktops and link full size copies on your web site or any other server,
post thumbnails of pictures from MacDesktops and link directly to the images at MacDesktops,
include any images from MacDesktops in a collection distributed on CD-ROM, DVD, Zip or any other media without first receiving permission from MacDesktops.

If you have any questions or wish to use any pictures from MacDestops in any way not explicitly enumerated in this document, please contact MacDesktops.

You can read this on their site at http://www.macdesktops.com/?option=usage

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
each picture from macdesktop has the name (address) on it.
"AND any applicable author, and, "if possible", provide a link to MacDesktops," on.mac it is not possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
iNAP said:
each picture from macdesktop has the name (address) on it.
"AND any applicable author, and, "if possible", provide a link to MacDesktops," on.mac it is not possible.
I am not trying to nit-pick, and quite frankly I am not that concerned about it:))), but...eventhough the pics have the URL on them...
(NOTE: this does not mean use an entire picture "AS IS"),
Basically, you can't have the pics posted on your site the way that you have them now. I guess you could just say something on your site like, "these are from MacDesktops.com", but that doesn't solve the problem of the thumbnails linking to the main site for MacDesktops. You may be able to, but you are going to want to email or contact MacDesktops to get permission first. :black:

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
MISSED THAT, I'll do that thanks. I know your not nit picking thanks for your upfront opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I think the real issue would be if you were taking credit for somebody else's work, not that the pictures are too over the top. That first guy either had a really bad day, or just needs to chill out a bit.

K

Kokopelli

People from all walks of life browse the web. While I am not offended or even bothered by the pictures I can see how some might be. I would not worry about it, unless you stick to really conservative stuff you will offend somebody occasionaly. (I offend people on an almost daily basis, it is not my intent, just the way it oes sometimes.)

As far as copyright is concerned I think you are treading a finer line but your intent is not to profit or conceal the origins so I don't have a problem with it morally. I do think you should say something on your homepage to the effect of "These pictures were found at <URL>... blah, blah, blah." If the backgrounds were from a commercial site I would say they should be removed, but even from "free" sites I think you should consider the ramifications. Put another way MacDesktops relies on donations to keep going. By downloading and making the pictures available elsewhere you are making it harder for them to stay afloat and continue to provide the desktops.

Personally I rely on DeviantArt (talking about disturbing images...) and random happenstance for my backgrounds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.