Unable to Downgrade (Restore) iPhone 3GS from iOS 4.1 to iOS 4.0

Reaction score
Hello,

I updated my iPhone software to the newest one (iOS 4.1) and now I'm stuck in a problem and need to downgrade it. I read many articles online about the steps. I'm currently stuck in step 2.

Step 2: Once your iPhone is in DFU mode following message will be appeared in iTunes.

Click on “OK” , Now hold Option key (Mac) and Shift Key (Windows) while clicking Restore in iTunes and browse the iOS 4 firmware for your iPhone. Now the restore process will take 10 – 15 minutes.

So, when I choose the iOS 4 firmware, it shows that it's extracting the new software and then it goes to verify it with apple, after that, it reject it with the message below:

The iphone could not be restored. The device isn't eligible for the requested build.

I'm tired of googling this.. nothing there.. so does anyone knows the solution for this? Why apple is not signing me the iOS 4 firmware? The iOS 4.1 is just a beta (I think).. and it's not that I'm restoring to iOS 3.0 or something like that..

Please help me with a good tested solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Google Recboot.

That should help you out. If not, post on the Apple Dev Forum.

OP
I
Reaction score
It doesn't help.. it doesn't do anything besides putting your iPhone in and out of recovery mode. The problem is iTunes is verifying my iOS 4.0 firmware with apple and apple is being an ar$e..

Trying to register in Apple Discussion forums but.. nothing happens when I click on register.. tired my PC and this Mac, too many browsers.. nothing.. I hope somebody knows here..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you have 4.1 beta you 'should' be part of the Apple Developer program. It's the forums exclusively for devs that you need to post on.

If, you aren't part of the dev program and you've downloaded the beta from a torrent site or similar (not saying you have...just IF) then you are a bit stuck because your device won't be registered with Apple as a dev device which will, in turn, mean you'll verification when you come to install the firmware.

If this is the case you'll likely only be able to go forward.... not back.... i.e waiting til 4.1 is released to the public formally.

OP
I
Reaction score
Oh, gotcha, and no, I have it legally, I updated it with iTunes. I don't even know that it's beta.. hmm.. actually, it shouldn't be.. they could release iOS 4.0.2.. I dunno, I'm gonna break my AT&T contract 'n I didn't ask them about the lock.. I think I still need to do it my self since it's within the device it self.. but just stuck with this beta shxt..

I'm sorry if this talk is illegal in this forum, didn't read the rules, I think it's not, so that's all what I actually need.. the unlock.. I'm phone less since one week, after getting back home and leaving the U.S.

If anyone can help, please do, and thanks a lot dude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Let's try and get to the route of the problem.

It's sounds like you have 4.0.1 if you've done the update via iTunes. You can check in Settings-General-About

If you have 4.0.1 then it's not a beta.

What problems is it causing you that makes you want to downgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
As someone else asked. What problem are you having with the 4.0.1? Exaclty?

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry yes, it's iOS 4.0.1

As I said in my previous post, I'm gonna break my contract, and I already left the U.S, so.. need to unlock my iPhone. I'm kinda confused, do I need to jailbreak it first in order to unlock it? If yes, I'll have to do those both steps? Hmm, all those guides are saying you have to have the iOS 4.0 firmware.. so here is the problem. If you guys know how to unlock the iPhone 3GS with this 4.0.1 version, then tell me, it has to be without restoring/downgrading the software, unless if there is a trick to avoid Apple's restriction.

[EDIT]: Links, http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/07/jailbreak-ios-4-0-1-for-iphone-3g-with-redsn0w . Need a jail break first but.. http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/07/unlock-iphone-3g-ios-4-0-1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Unless you were previously jailbroken at 4.0 and had Cydia installed on your phone, you can not downgrade a 3GS from 4.0.1 to 4.0.

The 3GS is designed to check with Apple and verify that you are installing the most recent firmware. The 3G does not have this ability and can easily be downgraded, but the 3GS can not.

That being said, there is no reason you can't simply jailbreak at 4.0.1. JailbreakMe

After jailbreaking, install Ultrasnow via Cydia and you should be unlocked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.