mag safe getting incredibly hot

Reaction score
so i just plugged up my Mac with the magsafe and extension cord and i went to move the brick and i notice it was very hot. is this normal? does anyone else have the same heat i am getting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
How hot?
When I play movies or play games the power brick usually gets so hot that it is uncomfortable to hold it for a longer period.

OP
M
Reaction score
well yeah i was watching a live stream...but it got so hot that i couldnt hold it for longer than 3 seconds...im not exaggerating either...and im not a ***** lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Don't worry about it, the brick contains a big transformer that steps down the voltage to the computers operating volt/wattage and it generates a lot of heat.
Try to keep it on the floor and with lots of air space

If the connecter that plugs into the computer is getting hot then you have some kind of a problem that could case damage.
Then you should make sure that there isn't any dirt in the connector that could bridge the pins and cause a short.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.