17" Macbook pro Airport, USB and other stuff not working

Reaction score
Hello, so I have a Macbook Pro with 17" screen. A few days ago I opened it up because it was running extremely hot, so I cleaned the fans and the heat sinks, I applied new thermal paste, then I plugged everything back in that I could see and turned it on. The display worked and everything but when I finally get into Mac OSX, it says the airport card is not installed. The USB ports don't work, they aren't even giving off power. A few other things don't function. I did notice that the right fan was not spinning, I believe this was the cause of the overheating in the first place and was not new but it could have been.

So my question is, did I forget to plug something back in? Did perhaps crack the motherboard while taking it out, I don't see where I went wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot for viewing and have a great day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Why don't you send me the machine via FedEx and I can have a look if you didn't forget to plug something in ;)

Your best bet is to look inside again to see what you missed, some loose connection.
Also I would reset the PRAM.

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay I will try that.
I did research and could it be the Magsafe board is not plugged in correctly or is broken.
That seems to be the board with all the issues, such as airport, usb and charging and sound.

Thanks so much for replying.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my question is, did I forget to plug something back in? Did perhaps crack the motherboard while taking it out, I don't see where I went wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot for viewing and have a great day.

The first question would be was your MBP really over-heating in the first place...or just "normal" hot? We get these "my laptop is really hot/over-heating" questions quite a bit...and when we find out what the temps actually are...turns out everything was normal.

Whenever you open up a computer/laptop...there's always some risk of something going wrong. Obviously your laptop was working fine before it was opened (just on the hot side)...and after putting it back together there are problems...so something happened during disassembly or assembly.

It would have been great if we could have discussed the "temp" situation before opening it up.

About the only thing you can do at this point...is open it back up...and double check to be sure everything is assembled & plugged in properly...and hopefully nothing was damaged the first time around.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I realize I made a mistake, but I'm trying to narrow it down to what is causing the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.