• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wiring DSL and Phone lines ... help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 i7, 8GB, OS X 10.6.8
I'm trying to wire my small business up for telephone and DSL.
The phone company is installing the Network Interface Device (NID) on Thursday, and I have to have all the wiring done before they get there.

I have 3 lines, lines 1&2 are phone, and line 3 is DSL. I've decided to put lines 1&2 on one Cat5e, and the DSL on it's own Cat5e. I've run the 2 Cat5e cables from where the NID will be to a little expansion board in the office. I've also run cables from the expansion board to 3 other locations where I'm going to have phone and internet.
(Sorry if this is a bit wordy.)

Now because it's 3 phone lines I bought RJ-11(6p4c) plugs, and matching jacks. My question is how do I figure out what pin holes the twisted pairs go into. I can't figure it out at all, and I can't find anything that makes sense online.

The wiring of the RJ-11 plugs, jacks, and expansion board is what I'm looking for.

By the way this is the expansion board I have: Leviton 1x6 Cat5E Voice and Data Expansion Board - R10-47603-0C5 at The Home Depot

(I've done this a few times for only ethernet and RJ-45 jacks ... it was much, much easier.)

Thanks for reading and for help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.