Ipod Touch Question

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking at getting a new ipod for music. I have a TON of music and was originally looking at the Ipod Classic. But some of the music I do not necessarily listen to much. But I definitely want something bigger than a 4 GIG ipod i have now.

While surfing around I looked at a refurbed 32gb Ipod touch (it wouldn't fit all my music at all but 32gb is a lot more than 4gb) for the price and other benefits it can come with (calender, etc. and wifi if It is around). I would be traveling (backpacking) through Europe with whatever I get. And I guess I was wondering those of you who have an Ipod Touch what do you think of it... even without wifi, as I am unsure how free wifi is in Europe. I know I definitely could use it while traveling around the States after the trip as well. (cities/google maps and other such random befefits).

As well, I was talking to my brother about the decision and I heard there may be a new Ipod Touch coming soon? I know nothing is probably "set in stone" but if there is when and what is supposedly going to be included in this? The refurbed prices of a classic and a ipod touch just seem close enough that I am unsure what I want to do and am looking for Touch feedback.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved. Does not belong in "Anything Goes". Please read the forum sticky prior to posting.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I am sorry. I may have posted twice by accident as well. Apologies for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
If you can get a 32gb iPod Touch for a reduced price, I would definitely get it while you can. No one knows exactly when the next generation will come out, what features it will have and more importantly... how much it will cost!

The only thing to be aware of with a refurbished unit is what generation it is. If it is a first generation, you will only be able to upgrade to version 3.1.3 of the software. With the second generation, you can upgrade to the latest version of the software, but you may not be able to use all of the available functions like multi-tasking which can only be done with a third generation iPod Touch.

From Apple --
"The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318."

A first generation is easy to tell because it does not have an internal speaker or a volume control on the side.

OP
Q
Reaction score
well the apple refurbs i see are 2nd and 3rd generation. I would want a 3rd generation ipod touch if what you say is true. I just heard in september there "may" be an update with a camera (which i do not realy care about) and some other things. But again I know that it is mostly spectulation.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Any other people have any advice on this touch vs. classic? how the touch is/what they do with it? etc. etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I had an 80gb Classic and the 32gb touch and I found myself never using the Classic so I sold them both and went with the 64gb touch. The touch is a whole different experience for obvious reasons. WiFi, web browsing, bluetooh, PDA, etc. etc. The two cannot be compared IMO. The Classic is a great audio/video player but that is it.

You will not even find 1st generation touches any longer on the Apple refurb site. They have not offered them for well over a year. It is also pretty clear what version you are buying from the site.

Who knows what Apple will do on a new model, but it may be worth the wait until September when they typically release new iPod models. No guarantees on anything, but it could happen and I would be really anxious to see what changes a new touch may bring.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Is there any... "if a ipod touch comes out xyz days after you buy one, you can replace the one you got for the new one" .. by paying the price difference etc.?

My problem with waiting until september is that I am leaving at the end of september (around the 20th). So I don't know if it would worth waiting until september... but again... there is plenty of september before the 20th.

I guess I will see what I decide, haha.

And the 64GB touch seems so expensive haha.

C

chas_m

While surfing around I looked at a refurbed 32gb Ipod touch (it wouldn't fit all my music at all but 32gb is a lot more than 4gb)

I find that it is only a matter of a few minutes to "swap out" music on the iPod Touch. I have a smart playlist called "Least listened to" and the iPod syncs to it ... complete new set of music each time.

I'm afraid I just don't "get" people who insist on having every bit of music they "own" on their iPod. That just leads to an ever-escalating cost habit.

As well, I was talking to my brother about the decision and I heard there may be a new Ipod Touch coming soon? I know nothing is probably "set in stone" but if there is when and what is supposedly going to be included in this?

Well of course nobody know this for sure by *traditionally* Apple replaces the iPod Touch with a new model in September, shortly after the "free iPod Touch when students buy a portable" promotion ends. I believe that's scheduled for early Sept.

I think its a pretty safe bet they will do that this year as well. As for what improvements the new model will have ... maybe FaceTime (ie a front-facing camera + the software) and iOS 4 of course ... beyond that I have no guesses.

Is there any... "if a ipod touch comes out xyz days after you buy one, you can replace the one you got for the new one" .. by paying the price difference etc.?

Broadly, no. If we're talking about within a week or two, Apple will gladly take back an undamaged iPod Touch with a restocking fee, after which you can buy the new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.