ADC or DVI?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, MacBook, iPhone 4, iPad
I am sorry if this should be in the "Other peripherals section" but I couldn't decide. I just bought this PowerMac G5 and I am trying to buy an apple monitor but I needed to know if I was going to need an adapter for the video card that was in it I did some research but couldn't figure everything exactly out so I figured might as well come to the geniuses. The model number that was posted is M9590LL/A and the graphics card is a GF6600LE. But the connectors are so close I can't tell if there is one ADC and one DVI or if its 2 ADC or 2 DVI I dont have a clue, but if it helps here is the picture. Thanks for any help. I am wanting the older model 20" Cinema Display (I think it came with Powermac g4 idk)
bs0oqbgkkgrhqmokj8ewz9d.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Both of those ports are DVI. If you want to get an older Apple display with an ADC connection/cable...you most definitely do need an adapter. But...I would highly recommend not getting an Apple monitor with the ADC cable. You would really be much better off getting a monitor with a DVI cable that would just plug in directly to the video ports on the G5 you have.

If you REALLY want to get the Apple monitor with the ADC connection...I would recommend looking for a G5 video card that had an ADC port on it.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As stated both DVI and do not buy an antiquated display. An Apple DVI/ADC Adapter will cost as much as a 22" LED BenQ or similar.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I have an L shaped desk that my iMac G5 is on and the little space for the monitor is just enough for the 20" imac to sit so it would have to be a 20" monitor, but I think im just deciding to get the new HP 2010i HDCP monitor cause it looks more like an Apple thing (Im very weird about that I like all my stuff to match) cause I would get the A1081 model cinema display but I can't exactly afford that right now so that can come later. What do you guys think about the HP 2010i? A decent monitor for 136.99(thats the very max I can spend right now).?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I read and read for hours and talked to the wife and decided that since I was gonna dish the money out for the cinema display I want, that I might as well do it now and not buy a monitor I dont want and then come back later and spend money again on the monitor I DO want. So I sucked it up last night and bought a 20" Cinema Display, plus it will match my powermac better then that hp would have :) thanks for all your guys help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.