iPhone 3G - Version 4.0 - Phone now works like crap

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Anyone else having issues with their 3G iPhone working slow as ****? I installed the latest 4.0 software for the iPhone. Now it operates at a snails pace. Touching the screen, operating Apps, Text, etc is like a delayed reaction.

I've deleted unused Apps, and old photos, etc. I still have 2.6 Gigs of space available. So my memory is not maxed out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes..after the initial upgrade to iOS 3 to iOS 4..I had to power-cycle my iPhone 3G a couple of times before it was even usable and then there was a general slow-ness to it..

One thing that people have done that helps (it did for me) is go to Settings->General->Home Button->Spotlight Search and uncheck everything that isn't something you search for (in my case, that's everything)..

With just that one change..the phone is once again usable..but it's still a laggier than iOS 3..I think the 3G is just barely managing to run iOS 4..

I played around with a colleagues iPhone 4 that has iOS 4 and oh my god..is that thing fast..even another colleagues iPhone 3GS seemed perfectly fine..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
My roommate has this same issue with his 3G. I've read that a re-OS of 4.0 generally helps, but he never tried it so I can't vouch for that.

OP
A
Reaction score
So far so good. Deselecting those spotlight features seemed to make a difference. The next step would be to reinstall 4.0.

Reaction score
Don't upgrade to OS 4.0 with a 3G phone!

I had the same problem with my 3G running slow as **** with OS 4.0. So, I decided to "downgrade" back to 3.3 (or the whatever the one was prior). What that blog failed to tell me was that it'll erase the entire phone and even the backups associated with 4.0 under itunes. I lost all the data, to include 300 contacts!!!

I've been researching like crazy to see how I can bring it back. I even re-upgraded to 4.0 to see if the old data would pull up but no luck! I even tried to see if Mac has a "restore point" like Windows, but I'm learning it doesn't.

If anyone could help on the matter I'd be indebted. I just need my 300 contacts back!

Thanks...

C

chas_m

I had the same problem with my 3G running slow as **** with OS 4.0. So, I decided to "downgrade" back to 3.3 (or the whatever the one was prior). What that blog failed to tell me was that it'll erase the entire phone and even the backups associated with 4.0 under itunes. I lost all the data, to include 300 contacts!!!

I've been researching like crazy to see how I can bring it back. I even re-upgraded to 4.0 to see if the old data would pull up but no luck! I even tried to see if Mac has a "restore point" like Windows, but I'm learning it doesn't.

Uh, yes it does. It's called Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.