iPad JailBreak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
First of all, it's great to hear that we can openly discuss JailBreaking without the fear of the BANHAMMER ;D

Now, I as looking online and it says the new jailbreak at JailBreakMe.com works for iPad running iOS 3.2 and 3.2.1(mine)

I am considering JailBreaking my 16GB iPad 3G, just to toy with it until iOS4 is bestowed upon the iPad officially (it will be great to get a taste of Multitasking until I can get it officially),

Anyways, has anyone JailBroke their iPad? Or at least seen any reports of side effects?

Let me know, I probably won't JailBreak until I get home from work sometime later tonight.

Thanks.

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Mine is and works great.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats great...

So there is no slow downs or anything that you noticed that doesn't work properly? Also how long does it take for the process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Just a couple of minutes, You do it right off the ipad.

Open safari and goto Jailbreakme.com sit back and it will finish in 2 minutes or so.

No lag or performance loss (Most likely because of the A4 Processor can handle the extra load) The same on my iPhone 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
All jailbreaking does is remove the stops that prevent apps from being installed by any process other than the app store. It doesn't do anything that should slow the device down. Other than the fact that the Cydia app appears on your springboard, you shouldn't even be able to tell its jailbroken.

It won't harm your device and it's completely reversible. If you decide its not for you, just plug it back into iTunes and hit restore and you're back in jail.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, thanks again.

I will post back after I JailBreak later on today.

MMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Mmm.. A jailbroken second gen iPad with an camera for Skype or Facetime sounds pretty good but wouldn't it also prove to be a bit costly ? I'm just trying to figure out what one would JB an iPad for other than to tether with 3G or use apps like Skype over 3G instead of wifi etc... but since the data is limited and you get charged out the patoot after you go over that limit... then what we're talking about here is JB'ing for third party apps, is that right ?

In that case, I'd love to hear which apps you guys think are worth JB'ng for ? And tell us a bit about said apps and how they assist you in your daily lives.

Doug

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All jailbreaking does is remove the stops that prevent apps from being installed by any process other than the app store. It doesn't do anything that should slow the device down. Other than the fact that the Cydia app appears on your springboard, you shouldn't even be able to tell its jailbroken.

It won't harm your device and it's completely reversible. If you decide its not for you, just plug it back into iTunes and hit restore and you're back in jail.

Yep, I am completely aware of that. I have jailbroken both my 1st Gen iPod Touch and my iPhone 3GS (when I had it) I just haven't JailBroken my iPad yet and this time it looks a lot easier than ever.

Mmm.. A jailbroken second gen iPad with an camera for Skype or Facetime sounds pretty good but wouldn't it also prove to be a bit costly ? I'm just trying to figure out what one would JB an iPad for other than to tether with 3G or use apps like Skype over 3G instead of wifi etc... but since the data is limited and you get charged out the patoot after you go over that limit... then what we're talking about here is JB'ing for third party apps, is that right ?

In that case, I'd love to hear which apps you guys think are worth JB'ng for ? And tell us a bit about said apps and how they assist you in your daily lives.

Doug

Doug,

I am not sure what apps I will download, I have been out of the JB scene for a while. But I know it will be great to get BackGrounder on there to get the taste of sweet Multitasking for now. Also, Tethering 3G would be neat.

Like I said in my original post, I am JBing it just to mess around. I love my iPad the way it is currently, but I love tinkering too :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I am completely aware of that. I have jailbroken both my 1st Gen iPod Touch and my iPhone 3GS (when I had it) I just haven't JailBroken my iPad yet and this time it looks a lot easier than ever.

Doug,

I am not sure what apps I will download, I have been out of the JB scene for a while. But I know it will be great to get BackGrounder on there to get the taste of sweet Multitasking for now. Also, Tethering 3G would be neat.

Like I said in my original post, I am JBing it just to mess around. I love my iPad the way it is currently, but I love tinkering too :p

If your on a 3G iPad get mywi it's great.

Also don't forget to save your SHSH Blobs.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SHSH Blobs?!

Not sure I know what that is :-\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SHSH Blobs?!

Not sure I know what that is :-\

You will see it after the Jailbreak you open Cydia it will say "Make my life easier" click it. That saves your SHSH files. In case you need to re-jailbreak down the road or restore.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, here is an update.

My whole reason of Jailbreaking was to get Multitasking on the iPad.

I JailBroke it and downloaded ProSwitcher and Activator, whenever I tried to do anything on the iPad (even as simple as pushing the home button twice) it will crash and reboot itself :(

Needless to say after tinkering for a while, I restored it. I am willing to try it again if the Multitasking is working but other than that I am not sure there anything else compelling to JailBreak... at least for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, here is an update.

My whole reason of Jailbreaking was to get Multitasking on the iPad.

I JailBroke it and downloaded ProSwitcher and Activator, whenever I tried to do anything on the iPad (even as simple as pushing the home button twice) it will crash and reboot itself :(

Needless to say after tinkering for a while, I restored it. I am willing to try it again if the Multitasking is working but other than that I am not sure there anything else compelling to JailBreak... at least for me.

It's a work in progress with the iPad. I was reading the Dev's had a hardtime with the new firmware/jailbreak process.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah I saw that too.

Oh well, no harm no foul. like I said, if they fix it, I'll be first in line to re-JB my iPad.

The experience was still pretty awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah I saw that too.

Oh well, no harm no foul. like I said, if they fix it, I'll be first in line to re-JB my iPad.

The experience was still pretty awesome.

I just restored mine and jailbroke again,But couldn't mimic your problem I'm sure it will work itself out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I might have to ban you just for using the term banhammer. :p

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hahahaha... Didn't know that the term "ban...errr" is not allowed master Schweb :p

Look at this thread, this is exactly why I come to this forum. actually this is the only forum where I am active or have signed up to for that matter.

Reaction score
Well, here is an update.

Just curious, why did you push the home button twice? What IOS are you running....did you upgrade to 4.x before you did the JB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Pascal, perhaps it would behoove you to look at the date of the thread before you post. The last post was made in August, which was several months before 4.2 was released for the iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.