• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Do I need more Mac?

Reaction score
Do I need a bigger Mac? Apple doesn't seem to want to give away this information, so I'd like to open up the question to the world of opinion. I'm a semi-pro photographer, use lightroom and photoshop often with my 07 Macbook (Intel Core 2.2, 2Gig Ram) and external monitor. The macbook has performed fine. But I started timelapse photography, basically getting into rendering video through photoshop and quicktime. I'll be getting Final Cut soon and exploring timelapse video even more. So here's the question: I'm patient with computer speed and like not to over-do it with technology. Am I going to cook my Macbook making it work this hard? The fans are nearly always running now, and sometimes it sounds like the fans are going to explode through my keyboard. Can the Macbook handle video and photo work, albeit slowly, or am I setting up for a melted macbook? I'd rather sell it and make money BEFORE I cook it, than run it into the ground within the next year. Any tips? I don't need a notebook, so I'm considering a new iMac. The mac pro seems like overkill. (I am after all still just a carpenter by day). Thanks to anyone with advice or insight.

Andy
Kestrel View Productions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Video is always going to max out any computer.

My advice, if you have the money get a faster new IMac, otherwise the MacBook will be just fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I would also get a new iMac with an updated processor and 4gigs of RAM, especially if you're going for Final Cut down the road.

But I don't think the MacBook will melt down either, it will sooner shutdown to prevent any damage and it's still a nice computer, maybe a memory upgrade to speed things up?

And yes, the Mac Pro is overkill. Although I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the beautiful overkill machine :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If your aim is time lapse and not video editing, you might want to look at alternatives to Final Cut. There are applications dedicated to time lapse and stop animation that may make more sense.

Since it sounds like you'll have the machine for another year, a cooling device that goes under laptops maybe a good investment.

When you do upgrade, buy a machine with a discreet graphics processor. It looks like the new iMac models just released all have this feature. Not all past models do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.