First time Mac buyer, advice please.

Reaction score
Hi,

Im new to this site so I apologise in advance if I break some form of unwritten rules.

Anyway heres the problem, ive used Windows based PC's for years and to be hoest im getting sick of them, my best friend has used Mac's for years and is a big advocate of them.

So ive decided that I want a Mac notebook, either the 13' Macbook or the 13' Mac Book Pro both with the 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, but im stuck on a few issues I hope you can help.

1.) Is it worth me waiting until later in the year as it seems that each system is subject to bi-yearly touch up, estimating that the update maybe in October/November this year.

2.) Which would be a better for my needs, im not a professional the notebook would purely be used for home computing purposes.

I would be sincerely grateful for any assistance any of you could provide.

Reaction score
right now would be good time to buy either.. if you want to wait till late fall you might see an update on both.
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone
I would say if you are using the computer for non intensive programs (internet browsing, word processing, playing music etc.) I would recommend the macbook. however if you want to use stuff like photoshop, final cut, soundtrack pro i would say get the mac book pro, but it sounds more like the macbook is for you. Glad you are giving mac a try, i love mine and i know a lot of ppl here on this site love theirs too!!

have fun mate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Buy now and enjoy it. You can always buy a better one a few yrs from now if you feel the need at that time. I'm using a 2 yr old MBP and in NO way does it feel outdated or lacking in any areas. (you could save a few $$$ if you get a refurbished through Apple's refurb store online)
Get a Macbook, no need for the MBP as already stated unless you run intensive applications (photo editing, video editing, etc.).
The best thing you can do to prepare yourself for your new Mac is to check out the great info on Apple.com (Switch 101 and Mac 101) and read the great Switcher info on these forums. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208133-sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html
Of course feel free to ask any questions and don't forget to use the Search function to see if your question or issue has already been addressed. :)

Welcome to Mac-Forums and to the world of Macs!

OP
B
Reaction score
Cheers

Hey,

THanks for the help, ive gone for the 13' MBP.

I havent ignored your advice as up unitl last night I was all for the reular MB but may friend was able to get me a deal were by the MBP was only £75 more than the MB when usually its £150.

THanks for the advice though and as soon as I ge it im sure ill be on here bugging you for all sorts of tips!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"...i5 2.4ghz...4GB RAM...320GB HDD
Hey,

THanks for the help, ive gone for the 13' MBP.

I havent ignored your advice as up unitl last night I was all for the reular MB but may friend was able to get me a deal were by the MBP was only £75 more than the MB when usually its £150.

THanks for the advice though and as soon as I ge it im sure ill be on here bugging you for all sorts of tips!!!!!!

I just got a 15" MBP and it was a great choice, Good luck with your Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Sorry, I can't resist..... BigRoobyBooby? LOL
I love it :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.