• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express Video Help

Reaction score
Ok so I made this project for work and it was mostly pictures (745 of them down from 1054)) and some videos - plus I added some music to the slide show. Now that I'm done and I have exported the project to quicktime movie and then open up IDVD to create this dvd - I notice that the one quicktime .mov file is large 7.69GB's - This looks like I'm going to have an issue with this project to fit it on a DVD. What do I do - will IDVD compress the project to fit on a single DVD or make it in two DVD's (Part1 and Part2) or is there something in Final Cut Express to compress the project. Have I fallin off the deep end or do most projects fit on a DVD because to me a video file/clip would be much larger than a picture file(JPG). Plus does Final Cut Express use something different than IDVD

Thanks-For your Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You export from FCE, likely to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for the video and PCM for the audio if I recall right. You then import that new file into iDVD which will convert the file to MPEG2 that is appropriate for playback in a DVD player. Keep in mind iDVD only handles standard definition video. If you do export wide screen or HD, iDVD will adjust.

Another thing to note is that iDVD has limits on the length of the video. I think is is now 2 hrs for a signal layer DVD (4.7GB). Also, it does not automatically split material between more than one disc if it doesn't fit. You would have to manually do that.

Many of us use the disc image option of iDVD fist, and then burn the burn the disc, perhaps with Disk Utility. That way you separate burning from the disc creation process which may help in debugging burn issues.

All of this has been mentioned here in threads before. Also, check the help menu of iDVD. It is full of information too.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks- xstep

You export from FCE, likely to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for the video and PCM for the audio if I recall right. You then import that new file into iDVD which will convert the file to MPEG2 that is appropriate for playback in a DVD player. Keep in mind iDVD only handles standard definition video. If you do export wide screen or HD, iDVD will adjust.

Another thing to note is that iDVD has limits on the length of the video. I think is is now 2 hrs for a signal layer DVD (4.7GB). Also, it does not automatically split material between more than one disc if it doesn't fit. You would have to manually do that.

Many of us use the disc image option of iDVD fist, and then burn the burn the disc, perhaps with Disk Utility. That way you separate burning from the disc creation process which may help in debugging burn issues.

All of this has been mentioned here in threads before. Also, check the help menu of iDVD. It if full of information too.

Thanks for the Help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.