need help blue pixalation

Reaction score
Hi there all i need your combined knowledge
this is my first post so please be kind.

i have a 17 inch mac book pro 2.33ghz about 3 years old running OSX 10.4.11
it is on pretty much perminantly..

I am on my third battery all replaced by apple

currently my issue is the screen at different times has blue pixels see the pics
cant pinpoint how it happens or when. ie batt, mains power, time mac is on for....

the black parts of the screen have the blue pixilation

am i screwed or is this something else??

02082010916.jpg

02082010918.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Does your computer have the NVidia 8600 chip? It's been known for causing similar issues. Apple replaced those chips with extended warranty.

I once resolved a similar issue with crewed up pixels by doing the following:
reset PRAM: by holding down Apple + Option + P + R during boot
Then go into system preferences and change the screen resolution to something low like 1024x. Maybe try different resolutions.
Reboot again
If the problem gets resolved then you can change back the resolution. This worked for a white MacBook and I'm not sure what year it was :(

Reaction score
that's pretty common in older electronics, especially older digital SLR displays. but i've never heard of this problem with computers coming from anything else other than a fried graphics card. i would take it to apple and see if they'll swap it for a refurbished model or just fix it. do you have apple care, because that's gonna be a pricy repair. good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.