iPad query- child locks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
Hi all.
I relented and got the wife an iPad.
she loves it, I love it (enough to consider getting rid of my macbook) and unfortunately so does my 4 yr old!

Now I have no objection to him playing with it, he loves angry birds HD and painting etc.
What I do have an issue with is him being able to access email, settings, facebook etc etc.

I have looked into the restrictions thing, and it kind of helps, gets rid of the app store,safari and any apps that have a decent rating.
But, he can still access enough to cause issues (shutting off wifi, playing in itunes etc)

Is there anyway to kid proof these things- with literally just selected apps, no settings, no itunes etc

if not someone should design an app that does it!!

C

chas_m

At present, since the iPad doesn't support multiple user accounts, there's not much you can do apart from WATCH the child whenever they are using it and stop them when they are using something they shouldn't.

It would be neat if you could "lock to page," giving access only to one page's worth of apps (apps you've obviously picked).

You might suggest this to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I agree with chas_m (but I try not to let it happen too often), but with all due respect, you are the child's parent, not Apple!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right, I am the childs parent, I'm not suggesting that they should be responsible.

However in the time it took me to reach across the sofa earlier my son had managed to exit angry birds, open my email account and had somehow managed to click reply!

I am sure that was in no way intentional on his part, purely being an inquisitive toddler.

And another reason for getting one was to keep him amused on car journeys with films etc
Dont get me wrong, it is a fantastic concept, and he has taken to it very very quickly, I just wish there was a way to lock it out. I have emailed via the support people, will see if it appears at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
As far as your email, you can always turn your account off. Other than that, if he is smart enough to figure out how to get into the settings and turn the WiFi on and off, then I see another $500 (at least) purchase in your future.

As the parent of 3 and grandparent of 8, I know how "creative" these young minds can be and putting your personal or sensitive information on a device then giving it to a 4 year old may not be the best thing to do. Remember, he is only going to get older... and smarter... and more curious!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes, and not only is he creative, he's also a technology snob.
I dug out my first gen ipod touch, put a couple of games on there, disabled everything else. He gave me the kind of look I'd expect from an adult who I had just passed a still warm T*rd!
'dont want that one daddy, where the big one?' Go Figure!,
and $500, I wish, try $680- for the 16gb wifi (£429 Sterling)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Wow! I had no idea they were so much more across the pond. I will sell you mine for £375 and I will go buy another one for myself!

Especially in your case, however, I don't know that any parental controls will be strong enough to safely co-mingle your personal stuff and his games, movies, etc.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude, that was a good article, thanks.
My son starts school this september, I was quite surprised to see that they start on IT lessons in the first week! nothing too hard, just this is a mouse etc
Bit of a shame they use windoze boxes, was hoping they would be on OSX!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks guys. That was more fun to write than some of the more technical stuff. The kids I have used it with thus far are always excited about the prospect of getting to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.