Secure erase

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am selling my Macbook Pro (core i5 2010 model) and want to use the secure erase method of Disk Utility. Because it is my boot drive, the option for this is blanked out, and I read that if I use the OS X dvd to boot, I would be able to do it this way.

Before proceeding though, I just want to check that if I boot up with the DVD, and perform the secure erase, I would be able to reinstall OS X for the new owner straight after by simply inserting the DVD again and installing?

Any clarification would be appreciated, I just don't want to bugger anything up :)

Thank you.

Reaction score
yes, all you have to do is boot to the dvd by holding down the c key while starting up and then following the install steps. should be as easy as it sounds.

best of luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
Here are the steps.
Boot from the install disc holding C while booting.
Select language and click continue.
Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar.
Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
Click erase tab.
Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
Name Macintosh HD.
Click security erase you want, then erase.
After the movie plays, and goes to the screen where you have to input information, click Apple key (command) + Q.
A box will pop up for you to select shutdown.

On the next restart, the setup assistant will come up with the welcome movie for the new owner followed by the registration screen for them to input their details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.