HELP! Monitor causes G4 to lose power

Reaction score
Recently upgraded my cpu on my G4. I got the cpu from Sonnet. I installed it, and the computer wouldn't boot. I put the old cpu back in, went online to make sure firmware was up to date. I installed the software from the Sonnet install cd, and then I re-installed the new cpu, and nothing. The fans barely move, and stop, barely move, and stop. The monitor doesn't work either. I know it's a power issue, but have no idea what to do to fix it. If I unplug the monitor, the tower starts up fine, but if I plug in the monitor, it shuts down the power to the computer. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You'll need to supply more information if you want detailed assistance.
1. What model of G4?
2. What Sonnet upgrade unit, and from where?
3. Is the Sonnet the right unit for your model of G4?

Can you power the monitor separately, rather than from (what I assume is) the G4's power-out socket?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And some CPU upgrade units came with an adjustable system bus speed settings via jumpers. Is this one of this type and if so are the jumper set correctly?

OP
J
Reaction score
You'll need to supply more information if you want detailed assistance.
1. What model of G4?
2. What Sonnet upgrade unit, and from where?
3. Is the Sonnet the right unit for your model of G4?

Can you power the monitor separately, rather than from (what I assume is) the G4's power-out socket?

It is a G4 Digitial Audio. The Sonnet upgrade is the Encore ST/G4 1.6 Ghz and there customer service has informed me that it is compatible, and there should be no issues.

I did notice, however, that I have a bent pin in the male connector coming from the monitor into the computer. I think that is my problem. I tried to bend the pin back, but it doesn't work. May have to research how to replace that cable that goes from monitor to computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bent pin will do it for sure. Trust it is not an ADC cable from your Apple display?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.