• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

new entry-level iMac good for video editing?

Reaction score
Ok iMac users, I'm considering my first iMac, and need your thoughts. The primary purpose of the computer will be casual home video editing (for putting pics of my kids to music, etc.) - nothing professional - iMovie will suit just fine without going to Final Cut (express or otherwise). Will the new $1200 entry-level iMac with an i3 processor, ATI Radeon 4670, and 8MB RAM be good for that? That is, would it render a video in a reasonable amount of time, and not freeze on me?

The $1500 upgraded iMac of course has a much better graphics card, the 5670, but would it really be worth the extra $300 for the somewhat "basic" and non-professional video editing I'm anticipating?

Another option would be a dell studio xps 8100 or 9000, with an i7 processor, ATI Radeon 5770, and 8GB RAM, for the same price ($1200). Would that offer significantly better performance for video editing (I would prefer the iMac if the dell might just spit out my movie 1 minute faster - i'm patient - but i might be motivated by say 5 or 10 minutes).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
I have last year's 21.5" iMac and it runs final cut express very well. The new iMacs won't even break a sweat with iMovie. For what you're doing the mac mini might actually be sufficient! Also keep in mind that iMovie (and the rest of the iLife suite) is specifically made and optimized for macs, so even with specs that seem low it runs well.

Reaction score
i run the same iMac as iZach does and i use final cut pro and have had no issues. my only advice is to just make sure that your camera is compatible, almost all are, but just to be sure check this list that apple has put out...
iMovie '09: Camcorder Support

C

chas_m

Although the Dell has an i7 while the iMac "merely" has an i3 (which is "merely" about 400% faster than my 2007 C2D that I run iMovie on), the Dell doesn't have iMovie or anything anywhere near as good.

Game, set, match -- iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To add to what chas_m said.....

Dell's tech and customer support has rapidly gone downhill in the past several years. If I had to choose between systems - even if the Dell were that much better, I would still choose Apple. Apple's support is number one.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.