extracting just the name on avi

Reaction score
I have many avi files for which i want to just copy/ extract just the names and paste them into say a spreadsheet.. I tried word, iwork and nothing seems to work.. it copies the entire avi video.. I want only the titles..

How to do this in say a batch form instead of each individually using get info would take way to long

Reaction score
I can get you a text file, don't know about Excel.
Open Terminal and type:
cd dirwhereavifilesare
ls *.avi >list.txt

That first command means change directory - replace dirwhereavifilesare to the dir where you have the files: eg, cd Movies
The second command outputs a dir listing of just avi files and writes it to a text file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Other than cradom's advice, I think you should raise this very issue with Apple. Ask to have the 'copy text only' feature of file names written into the MacOS. Example: if you multi-select file names, like .avi titles, then there should be a way to copy them to a text processor - or a spreadsheet.

When I saw what you were asking I thought "you've got a long and tiresome job on your hands". I had no answer otherwise. It would be good to see a workable feature included in the MacOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.