External drive no longer recognized

Reaction score
Using a Maxtor external drive that, while the light is flashing as normal when connected, the computer seems to not be recognizing.

All indications seems to suggest the USB ports are good. Not getting an icon for the drive on my desktop. My music library is also stored on it and iTunes set to reference it when launched. That's not finding it either.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Two possible reasons:
1. the drive itself is failing or has failed (despite the fact that it's spinning)
2. the control bridge in the ehd enclosure has failed.

Have you tried the usual quick remedies, ie. switched the USB cable ends, tried a different (new) cable, changed switching order (drive first, computer second)?

Report progress, so we can consider other remedial options.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have tried swapping USB cable ends (I assume by that you mean, swap the plugs in the different ports). Have also tried starting computer before plugging in drive and starting computer with drive already plugged in. Both to no avail. Have not tried new cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.