2 dead strips

Reaction score
I have the very first iphone version (iPhone 2G). After few years of owning it I finally accidentaly dropped it. Most of the screen was white (but the glass was okay). I took it to a repairman. When I got it back the picture was fine (I could see everything), but bottom part of the screen was unresponsive to touch. It wasn't that big of a deal. But now it got a little bit wet. Not soaked in water, but it got some rain on it. So now there is a new dead strip, above the other one (there is a small strip between dead strips which works). Usually when phones get wet there is something big I think (entire screen doesn't work or something), but this is weird - because only a small part doesn't work. What should I do? I need to get rid of new strip, I'm fine with the old one.. Can I clean it and hope it will go away when I open it up? Also.. can the experts tell that it has gotten wet?

Thank you.

Reaction score
What should I do? I need to get rid of new strip, I'm fine with the old one.. Can I clean it and hope it will go away when I open it up? Also.. can the experts tell that it has gotten wet?

You can try placing it in a bowl of dry rice and leave it sitting there for a day or two. This isn't full proof but the rice can act as a sponge and draw some moisture out of the phone. I have heard this helps if you are quick about it.

There is a small strip inside the phone which can be seen inside the 30-pin dock connector, that will change color if it gets wet. All cell phones have these strips (or circular pads) that change color to indicate water damage.

OP
P
Reaction score
Did put it into rice, didn't do anything. I'm not sure I can see the strip from the bottom. I don't see any red though. But if I look on the top from the headphone jack then I can clearly see white.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.