iPad as a GPS Device ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard
Hello Guys

Can the iPad 3G version be used as a GPS Device. (I've got the Velcro idea in mind).

I read in a blog that the iPad was missing GPS !! Yet Copilot have software for it on the iPad !!!! :\

I'm slightly confused, and would greatly appreciate some help.

Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
There are several GPS apps for the iPod/iPad. I have a WiFi only version, so I do not know how well they actually work. I assume (a very dangerous thing to do!) that they use the 3g service to triangulate your position because there is not a true built-in GPS device in the iPad.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are several GPS apps for the iPod/iPad. I have a WiFi only version, so I do not know how well they actually work. I assume (a very dangerous thing to do!) that they use the 3g service to triangulate your position because there is not a true built-in GPS device in the iPad.

That almost has to be the case. And if that's true, even the cheapest standalone GPS will be faster, more accurate and be less prone to theft, if mounted on your dashboard.

Now that decent GPS devices are running just over $100, I'm not sure how much sense it makes to try to adapt a completely disparate device to perform the same functionality.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There seems to be a bit of confusion about exactly how the iPad does its GPS magic.. (see for example Apple iPad: Does it have 'real' GPS? (updated: yes and no) | ZDNet) Having said that I have tried a couple of map apps on the iPad and run the locate my iPad/iPhone feature several times just to see how close it came to my location.

Overall the accuracy has been pretty good though I have never used a dedicated GPS for comparison.I have had it come as close as say maybe 100-200 feet and less in some locations. I used the map application recently when out of town to navigate to a few stores I hadn't been to in a long time and the directions were dead on. Amazed the guys at the home center btw.

Here's a mini look at some of the apps that are out iPad GPS Navigation – Preview GPS Review

C

chas_m

Ciwan:

Velcroing an iPad somewhere the driver can see it is not only not going to give you good GPS, not only use up vast amounts of expensive 3G data, and not only likely to be illegal in many municipalities, but at the very least its going to attract the attention of law enforcement.

Overall, I think it's a really really bad idea. Do what the rest of us do; get a wife and give her the iPad to navigate with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Umm... The iPad 3G has a GPS module built in!! You don't really need the 3G Triangulation, if you have 3G Turned on, thats great, it will make the satellite lock-on much faster, if not then it will work like a regular stand alone GPS Unit.

So do you need a 3G Connection to use the iPad as a Nav Unit?!

The answer in most cases is NOPE. Most Nav apps that are worth their salt download the full set of Maps to your device (you are talking about a 1+ GB download) and you don't need to have 3G Turned while using the app on the road.

Now if you have in mind that Maps Application, thats a different story. That app, downloads the maps every time you view a certain location or directions. and once you cancel out it goes *BOOF* back up to the cloud (mostly)

Hope that clears the confusion a bit.

Andy by the way Chas, there is already a couple of iPad Mounts for Cars that would take care of that issue completely and they look perfect. If I stumble on the link again I will post.

Cheers!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does the WiFi version have GPS chip? I could have sworn it didn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
WiFi model does NOT have a GPS chip. The WiFi+3G is the only model that has the GPS chip.

The WiFi model will actually use the WiFi's IP Address to determine location also if the WiFi is registered with SkyHook Wireless it will make the location pin point a lot faster.

Reaction score

WiFi+3G has an A-GPS chip. This is the best type of navigation
chip out there for hand held devices. It does a preliminary lock
with cell towers (if available) to give a quick and dirty location
while the satellite GPS does it's thing. This takes time. As this
information is processed, then the location is refined. It is VERY
accurate. It is an "assisted GPS" chip, in that the cell towers
are used for sorting location while the satellite info is processed.

I just got back from a 2,000 round trip road trip. I used Google Maps
with my WiFi+3G as my primary navigation aid. I have one word to say about it. Awesome. This is as long as you have service to download the
map so that the GPS can do it's thing. I also have Navigon as a back
up as it has maps on board the iPad's memory. But I like to use
Google Maps better. I love the way you can pinch and scroll the maps
to the scale that you need. I feel like the iPad earns it's keep with
just this one function.

I do not mount it on my dash though. My wife was along, so she
played navigator.

dxr

P.S. iPad runs Navigon like a champ. Much more reliable/fast than
running it on iPhone.

C

chas_m

I still say the wife/girlfriend/partner option is best. Works great "offline" too. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.