27" iMac with SSD and HD - transferring from old iMac

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Within 48 hours, I shall have my new 27" iMac 2.93GHZ, Quad i7 with 1TB HD and 256GB SSD.

I'm told that the SSD is designed to hold the OS and all Applications whilst the HD will be the "storage".

I have had three iMacs before and in each case effortlessly used Time Machine to copy all my data, Apps and settings on to the new system. But then there was only one HD.

If I use Time Machine with this new iMac, will it automatically put the OS and Apps on the SSD and the rest on the HD? Or do I need to do anything different?

Naive question perhaps, but this is new territory for me.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear loishen

Not for the first time have you come to my aid. Thank you very much indeed. And for the links. So kind of you.

What about Aperture 3? I have 75GB.

From what you're saying, Time Machine moves (or I select it do so) everything on to SSD and then manually, or otherwise, move the rest to the HD.

I suppose it's too naive to think I can just "drag & drop" everything else to the big HD - eg. Aperture Library?

Of course Apple Care is there for this sort of thing.

Ian

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked! And Thank you.

Let time machine put everything on to the SSD drive as normal. Then begin moving your files over to the big drive. Most files (letters etc) you could do manually.

To transfer Itunes media to the other drive see this article
iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

To move iPhoto to use the other drive:
iPhoto: How to move the Library folder to a new location

I did everything you advised and it has worked out fine. Many thanks.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.