Mac Mini and KVM switch question..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.42Ghz,512 Ram, 80gHD
Hello all. I am new to MAC . I just got my mini and I love it. Quick question.
I have an apple keyboard, a VGA monitor and USB mouse. I want to share the monitor and mouse with a Dell PC. I have a Dell keyboard ( PS2). Any thoughts on the Trendnet 209i with audio. Has any one use this KVM? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
I don't think that KVM has support for switching a USB mouse, only PS/2. Having 2 keyboards sounds pretty annoying, Why not just use one?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
I don't think that KVM has support for switching a USB mouse, only PS/2. Having 2 keyboards sounds pretty annoying, Why not just use one?
The mouse has an adapter to switch to PS2 as well. Can I use the Apple keyboard on the PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
mitsycam said:
The mouse has an adapter to switch to PS2 as well. Can I use the Apple keyboard on the PC?
If you dont need great performance i would recommend using VNC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
there are several kvms and use usb now , ill see if i can find the models . at my last job we had a couple . the only down side is there expensive , the ones we had were about 300 a pop .

Reaction score
I got problem using KVM switch for mini and PC. The switch has only PS/2 ports. PC has no problem at all. But mini only supports USB, so i purchased PS/2 to USB converter. The converter has two PS/2 head and one USB, so two into one converter. But my mini could not detect mouse and keyboard. Screen is alrite...anyone know why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I have a Belkin KVM switch (with VGA/USB/Sound) and it works just fine. I'm also using the Apple keyboard for both the Mini and my PC. No problems there except that the "windows" (apple) and "alt" (option) keys are backwards from a normal windows keyboard. I did a write up on the KVM switch when I first got it here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15674&highlight=kvm

A

at350zguyy

dan828 said:
I have a Belkin KVM switch (with VGA/USB/Sound) and it works just fine. I'm also using the Apple keyboard for both the Mini and my PC. No problems there except that the "windows" (apple) and "alt" (option) keys are backwards from a normal windows keyboard. I did a write up on the KVM switch when I first got it here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15674&highlight=kvm

when i bought my mini i bought a kvm switch thats only for 2 cpu's. it has support for a monitor, keyboard and mouse too. it was like $50 which is a lot cheaper than buying a new monitor, keyboard, and mouse. it also works great. the one i have is from iogear.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trendnet KVM sorta works with Mac Mini

at350zguyy said:
when i bought my mini i bought a kvm switch thats only for 2 cpu's. it has support for a monitor, keyboard and mouse too. it was like $50 which is a lot cheaper than buying a new monitor, keyboard, and mouse. it also works great. the one i have is from iogear.

I bought a Trendnet TK-209i KVM switch. I got the my crt monitor and USB mouse to share with a Dell computer. The only problem is the Dell supports a Ps/2 keyboard and the mac mini supports a USB keyboard. So I settled for two keyboards. The Dell keyboard and an Apple keyboard that I love. I can switch the monitor and mouse between the two computers and I have two keyboards. Not so bad, it beats disconnecting the keyboard,mouse and monitor each time I wish to change platforms. I successfully created a wired network between the two computers. Just wanted to share this as I am a brand new Mac user (1month) and loving the Mac experience. Mitsycam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.