Sidebar/User question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
Hey guys so quick question. In my sidebar the little house icon always pops up with the name User next to it. I bought my MacBook Pro used so I would like to know if there's a way to change this now or if I'm stuck with it. The store that I bought this from wiped the hard drive to the point where only the OS and the applications were left on it. Any info is helpful. Thanks!

Screen shot 2010-07-31 at 10.45.59 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
A complete reinstall could do it, but without doing that :

Have a look here @  Support

Mac OS X: How to change user short name or home directory name
or if thats difficult to follow you could do this ...

The home folder should be your “short name” from when you set up your account on OS X. It’s not supposed to be changed, and doing so can really mess stuff up. It’s VERY risky, so consider yourself warned.

You can probably just rename the folder, but the OS will still look in the old location for your home folder. To tell it you’re changing your home folder, go to System Preferences -> Accounts, unlock it if it’s locked (otherwise the next step won’t be possible), right-click on your account name, and click "Advanced Options…”

There is a box there where you can choose your home directory. Direct that to the newly named one.

If you can’t rename your home folder (I’ve never tried), create a new folder in /Users with the name you want, copy/move everything from your home folder into it, and then do the above to point the OS to the new folder.

But remember mucking around with anything in the home directory could cause you problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.