Need help, Mail default font color

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
When I compose a new message I want the default to be brown. But when I go to Preference Font's & Colors > Message Fonts

I can pick the fonts style and see it takes effect, but if I pick the color with the text icon on top of the pop up window, no matter what color I pick out for the fonts, when I compose my message the text is always in black. I can pick the color on the toolbar at the compose window. But as a default it's always black. It's the same situation with background color also. Does anyone else have the same problem and have any idea how to get the setting for default font color to show in compose.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I think the problem you are experiencing is that Mail sends everything as plain text as default even if you choose rich text in the preferences. It seems that it will only send html rich text emails when it thinks you have something in your email that needs it if you have the rich text option selected. The font size only changes on your screen so it's a little misleading that you actually changed the font size. I've sent emails to myself on a different account to test it out.

The only way I have been able to change the font size is by pressing the font button in the new message window. I'm assuming this is the same with color. It seems that when you make changes using the new message buttons instead of in preferences it now sends html rich text emails. I've never really used color much so I haven't done much testing with settings.

Although you might want to second guess your color choice because many people prefer plain text emails which means black text without all the fancy fonts. This is probably why Apple choose not to allow us to make changes to the default. You have to physically change it every time in the new message window if you want to send it with your custom colors and fonts. If it's really an issue for you then you might want to try out Thunderbird because I think it doesn't have this problem but people might be annoyed with you sending colored text. Brown is not as easy to read as black.

Reaction score
I think the problem you are experiencing is that Mail sends everything as plain text as default even if you choose rich text in the preferences. It seems that it will only send html rich text emails when it thinks you have something in your email that needs it if you have the rich text option selected. The font size only changes on your screen so it's a little misleading that you actually changed the font size. I've sent emails to myself on a different account to test it out.

The only way I have been able to change the font size is by pressing the font button in the new message window. I'm assuming this is the same with color. It seems that when you make changes using the new message buttons instead of in preferences it now sends html rich text emails. I've never really used color much so I haven't done much testing with settings.

Although you might want to second guess your color choice because many people prefer plain text emails which means black text without all the fancy fonts. This is probably why Apple choose not to allow us to make changes to the default. You have to physically change it every time in the new message window if you want to send it with your custom colors and fonts. If it's really an issue for you then you might want to try out Thunderbird because I think it doesn't have this problem but people might be annoyed with you sending colored text. Brown is not as easy to read as black.

hi, i too checked all the possible way to set font size and colours by default but nothing helps on this. when you navigate to Preference and under fonts and color if you try to change any of its kind as per your requirement no effect takes places. so i believe by default there is no possible way to mange as per your satisfaction. very bad. only possible way is when you type a new message you have to change manually everytime.

Reaction score

hi, i too checked all the possible way to set font size and colours by default but nothing helps on this. when you navigate to Preference and under fonts and color if you try to change any of its kind as per your requirement no effect takes places. so i believe by default there is no possible way to mange as per your satisfaction. very bad. only possible way is when you type a new message you have to change manually everytime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.