• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Backing Up a DVD

Reaction score
Dear all - nice to meet you! This is my first thread on here.

I am having difficulty in copying a DVD. I am a new mac user and would like to think that this would be a synch on a PC so you can understand my frustration at not being able to carry out such a simple task.

Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary and I thought I would dig out the wedding DVD but to my shock it is scratched. I know I can probably get them out physically but it is worrying as this is our only copy and I wanted to watch it.

Luckily I copied the data from the DVD to my HDD on my net book about two years and got every file (vob etc). I transferred all the files to the mac and then tried to burn them to a blank DVD which seemed to work. Unfortunately although both the mac and my netbook are able to display and manipulate the DVD video and menu (when playing the back up folder as a DVD) our home DVD player will only play the video and the menus don't seem to work.

Is there something I can do to create a new DVD which is the same as the old one in every way - it is worth noting that the original DVD is a recordable DVD so the file size and type indicates that I shouldn't need to decript or compress like when copying a dual layer.

Any help would be great.

thanks,

Daniel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What did you use to burn the DVD

If you just burnt it with the finder, then consider using Burn instead

Burn - Home

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Louishen - we are indeed using just the 'rightclick' options on our mac (imac 27" running os x).

I will give your link a try and get back to you.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.