• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone 4 fault fails to surface for Sydney fans [The Sydney Morning Herald]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
iPhone 4 fault fails to surface for Sydney fans

MAYBE their mobile signal is weaker, or maybe our hands are just smaller?

Apple customers who queued through wind, rain and their lunch breaks to snap up the new iPhone 4 were almost disappointed to learn their mobiles were not succumbing to the ''death grip'' that caused signal problems and corporate embarrassment for Apple in the United States.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, see it's like this.....

Australia is at the bottom of the world and in that area all cell phone signals are upside down. Therefore, in order to invoke the death grip, users there would have to stand on their heads. :p

Regards.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
That brings up an interesting point. With the iPhone 4 coming to more countries, we'll finally see how technical difficulties vary from country to country, if any.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Just more proof the whole death grip issue is really over hyped. The issue exists but it's way smaller of an issue the what the media/internet junkies want us to believe.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Just more proof the whole death grip issue is really over hyped. The issue exists but it's way smaller of an issue the what the media/internet junkies want us to believe.

I read one interesting comment somewhere regarding this whole thing… these bloggers have overhyped it and helped blow it all out of proportion in a deliberate if desperate attempt to drive more traffic to their sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Or maybe they have better reception down there?!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I read one interesting comment somewhere regarding this whole thing… these bloggers have overhyped it and helped blow it all out of proportion in a deliberate if desperate attempt to drive more traffic to their sites.

Yeah, I'd like to think there is a group of people who just want to see Apple fail and are just all about instigating. They don't really care how factual or false something may truly be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I agree it seems like the U.S. is behind when it comes to cellular technology.

Yeah, I'd like to think there is a group of people who just want to see Apple fail and are just all about instigating. They don't really care how factual or false something may truly be.

Yes, It's a big conspiracy. I agree it's blown out of proportion. But it does exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Well, see it's like this.....

Australia is at the bottom of the world and in that area all cell phone signals are upside down. Therefore, in order to invoke the death grip, users there would have to stand on their heads. :p

Regards.

No, it's because we ride our kangaroos around while using our mobiles, and the height we get gives for good reception :D

Reaction score
I could never get any signal loss on the iPhone4's I have handled here in Germany either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if we do. It's very rare that I less than 3/4 reception anywhere in Sydney. Even out in the countryside it's pretty good...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And to add to 6string's comment, all you gotta do is keep the kangaroo fluff and feathers outta the iPhone and you is sweet! Methinks iPhone problems rest solely with that great organisation you have up north AT&T.

Down Under they trade with the iPrimus banner and it is not a market front runner by any means.

Reaction score
I got mine today, live in Ireland, my friend got on on Friday, no death grip problems here. I think it might be just North America as your signals come from ground based cell towers and outs is from a proper satellite network.... just a theory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.