Strange noise?

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a new mac user and recently got my macbook pro around 2 months ago. Everything seemed to be going fine, but recently, i left my mac running overnight, burning a dvd on idvd. And now, i recently noticed that my mac is making a strange sound. This sound was never there before i left it running overnight. Should i turn off my mac overnight and let it rest? Any advice will be appreciated! :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are a great many of us here that never turn any computer off except for required re-boots due to new updates being installed. Leaving it on overnight would have nothing to do with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
It would help if you could describe the sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Is it the sound of your DVD optical drive? When I use any discs my MacBook Pro's optical drive will make a noise as if it's either ejecting a disc or trying to "search" for one after I'm finished with the disc.

Sometimes it does this randomly several minutes after I have ejected a disc. The problem eventually goes away on its own after a few more minutes of not using my optical drive. It does seem like my Mac is looking for a phantom disc that it thinks is still inside. That's probably the best way for me to describe it. I'm assuming this is your problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.