Apple-Aperture Questions.

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying Apple Aperture for my iMAC27. My camera is a Canon EOS 10D which on my Windows PC, I usually convert the files from RAW to TIFF using the Canon software that came with the camera.

Can the Aperture software do the same thing? If so, is there any quality advantage in using a TIFF instead of a RAW image?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I have a Canon 40D, and I import my RAW files directly into Aperture. Aperture has RAW conversion schemes that you can adjust if you wish. IMO this is preferable to converting first and importing a TIFF into Aperture - I'd rather get all the data from the RAW file in my master file. Others no doubt do it differently, but I can confirm that you can do it either way.

FWIW I really like Aperture, both for managing files and for editing/adjusting them.

OP
N
Reaction score
I have a Canon 40D, and I import my RAW files directly into Aperture. Aperture has RAW conversion schemes that you can adjust if you wish. IMO this is preferable to converting first and importing a TIFF into Aperture - I'd rather get all the data from the RAW file in my master file. Others no doubt do it differently, but I can confirm that you can do it either way.

FWIW I really like Aperture, both for managing files and for editing/adjusting them.
Thanks for replying. Can I import the RAW files direct from the card, using a card reader rather than connecting my camera to the MAC like I have to do on my PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Thanks for replying. Can I import the RAW files direct from the card, using a card reader rather than connecting my camera to the MAC like I have to do on my PC?

Absolutely. That is how I do it, card readers are usually much faster than connecting the camera directly.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FWIW it works the same with my Nikon D5000 too. I shoot in RAW and import directly into Aperture via card reader with no problem.
I also have adobe PSE 8.0 set up as the external editor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.