Changed permissions from everyone to none! (Macbook not booting)

Reaction score
Hello guys! Thanks for reading. (I apologize in advance for the grammar, I'm not English native)

I'm a mac noob willing to learn. I screwed up a couple of days ago exploring my new Macbook (wich i purchased to learn MacOS).

Little description:
What I've done: I changed the permission to the Macintosh HD doing the following:

1. Macintosh HD icon > Get Info
2. I remember to saw a permission options which i unlocked for editing, and changed the permission for the user "Everyone" to None access or smthing
3. I think the other users where Admin & my personal user, those where allowed to read and write i think (I don't remember quite well but i did not changed those users)

After that my Mac didn't start. It keeps loading after the grey apple screen finish. It keeps looping trying to login my user session i think.

I have a some code logs i got from the screen when trying Command+S. Hope it helps:

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[xxxx]: Login Window Application Started
mds[31]: (Error) Import: importer:0x84a200 Importer start failed for -2 (kr:268435459 (ipc/send) invalid destination port)
com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[xxxx]): posix_spawnp(~/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder", ...): No such file or directory
com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd[xxxx]): posix_spawnp(~/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/R/Resources/usbmuxd", ...): No such file or directory

I've read a couple of solutions on how to change the permissions but the thing is that i don't want to screwed up again since i have some data inside that i don't want to miss.

I hope that someone can help me. If some more details are needed please let me know. Thank you in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I would try booting from the DVD that came with your system and repairing disk permissions from disk utility to see if that fixes the problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
I would try booting from the DVD that came with your system and repairing disk permissions from disk utility to see if that fixes the problem.

Hey thx for the reply. The thing is: I purchased this mac from an owner and he didn't give me the discs (I just wanted to learn to use Mac and i didn't mind).

I have tried to boot from a MacOS Tiger DVD that someone lend me, but I don't know how to boot it from the CD (i could not make it boot with some hotkeys i found on some forums) or either if it will work since the mac was running Leopard. Any ideas or workarounds? Thx in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You cannot use borrowed discs. The grey discs are machine specific.
Since it is a Macbook, you should be able to get retail Snow Leopard (around $30) from apple, boot from that holding the C key while booting.
As long as you have the following, which in all likelihood, you do, you could erase the HD and install it.
An Apple computer with an Intel Processor
1GB of Memory (RAM)
5GB of hard drive space (Storage)
DVD drive for installation

C

chas_m

Changed permission of "Everyone" to "none" -- that is classic. Gotta write that one down ...

PS. +1 to what 6string said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.