MacBook Pro HDMI Issue

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Intel 2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.8. I recently purchased
a Samsung P2570hd TV/Monitor. When first connected (through a dvi-d to hdmi), the computer found the monitor right away.

But now it doesn't work at all, with the monitor saying "no signal" when connected.

Things I've tried:
1) varying how I input the signal (tv off/computer on; computer off/Tv on;
disconnecting hdmi cable, etc.)
2) Use detect displays in the displays pref. (It can't find it.)
4) Changing resolution on the Mac and restarting. (I've tried almost
all of them.)

A friend thinks it is a refresh rate issue, but unless the Mac finds the
Samsung, it doesn't allow me to change the rate.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I hope everyone reading this is beginning to notice that 9 out of 10 issues raised related to connecting Macs to a TV involve... Samsung.

The best advice I can give, use DVI.

Personally, I think they know about the issue, and that's why they are practically the only TV manufacturer putting a DVI port on a TV.

Reaction score
Vid/Graphic SO DARK when connecting MBP (OSX 10.6.6) to Samsung P2570HD LCD TV!

This has been frustrating me for weeks. I'm begging for help with this!

I purchased a brand new MBP (OSX 10.6.6) in early 2010, and with it, the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adaptor (Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)). I also purchased a brand new Samsung TV (P2570 HD LCD TV) (Buy.com - Samsung P2570HD 25" LCD TV). I was eager to watch movies on the TV, streaming of course from my shiny new MBP.

Using a separate cable & the Mini DisplayPort, along w/ a separate audio cable, I had no problem connecting the MBP to the TV and seeing the picture/hearing the audio.

BUT--for the life of me--I absolutely cannot get the TV display to LIGHTEN UP. It is so dark. When I watch regular TV, the brightness settings are fine. As soon as I connect the MBP, everything goes to a dark shade.

We've tried all possible brightness settings on both the TV and the MBP, have reset everything, etc. etc. I'm just at a loss and so frustrated. Does anyone out there have suggestions, thoughts? Are there display settings I'm missing?

Thank you so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look at the advice given above: Always use DVI not VGA. You're pumping an analog signal into a TV that can easily accept and display digital. Buy another adapter and try that instead. The folks at Monoprice.com carry all the cables and adapters you will ever need and at a much lower price than Apple.

I use DVI into my Samsung(s) and the display is nice and bright.

Reaction score
chscag -- Excellent advice, thank you. When I bought my MBP (early 2010), the only Mini DisplayPort adaptor available to me from Apple was the VGA one, so I assumed that was the best one to get, even for my HDTV. I know now I was wrong!

Thanks for the link to Monoprice.com. I'm such a novice, I have no idea which is the right DVI adaptor to now get. I've attached a pic of the back of my Samsung, would you be able to find the right product on Monoprice.com and perhaps send me a link? Would be so grateful, thank you!

samsung.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Thank You!

6string -- thanks so much for the links, I just bought one on ebay, actually (a 6ft-er, which should do the trick, for about $9). This forum is amazing, I'm so grateful for the help!

Will keep folks apprised on whether the display issues are resolved, once I get my new Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable in the mail. Fingers crossed that this does the trick.

Reaction score
Hi chscag & 6string -- just rec'd my cable in the mail (the one you (6string) suggested I buy). I hooked up the TV to the laptop, but now it's like I'm seeing only a part of my desktop on the TV screen (like, the center of the desktop ONLY). This must have something to do w/ display size/resolution? Where to find these settings, does anybody know?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Displays

Reaction score
Thanks, bobtomay. Yes, I'm in System Preferences - Displays now, trying to navigate the settings. Basically at this point, I can now see my desktop on my TV screen just fine, but I can't figure out what the right setting is for getting the entire desktop to stretch, clearly, onto the TV screen. Do you know where I can find that info or, do I just have to keep trying the different options?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.