Macbook Pro External Monitor HDMI - Getting out of Display Sleep Mode problem

Reaction score
Hi

I've been using a samsung monitor 23? Widescreen LCD Monitor with LED Backlight PX2370 - Premium - Monitors | SAMSUNG for EXTERNAL Monitor for macbook and it works well.

1) It worked perfectly with "Insomnia" + "Caffein" app so my LAPTOP never sleeps.

2) However I had turned on "EXPOSE" so my laptop "MONITOR" + "EXTERNAL MONITOR" goes to sleep when i want it to, without shutting down laptop.

3) When I return to my DESK< All I do is MOVE MY MOUSE and my monitor comes back on.

This wasn't a problem when I used the mini to APPLE DVI Converter

However recently i decided to get Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter a try.

It works well in HDMI but now problem arise

1) If i put my monitor to sleep for more than 10-30

2) I return to my desk and move my MOUSE or KEYBOARD Click

3) External monitor (Samsung) doesn't respond.

Only way to get external monitor working = to close it/power off then power on again. Before it would just auto- come back on.

Any idea how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated,

as I GAVE AWAY the DVI** Adapter, thinking this HDMI would work better :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If DVI is available, imho, it is always the preferred connection in lieu of HDMI when connecting to a computer.

Samsung's in particular (along with ViewSonic) are notorious for not passing proper EDID info via HDMI to Macs. They do the same with Windows machines, except Samsung provides their own drivers and software for Windows and they have not seen fit to provide them for OS X.

Sorry, but my best guess to fix it... go back to DVI.

OP
H
Reaction score
sigh, so i'd need to buy another DVI Connector :\

No other way around this? The HDMI does show higher quality even if a little it seems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
None that I know. But, Samsung has been on the short list of companies that are not allowed to have any of my money for the last 5 years and do not foresee that changing any time soon. Perhaps some others using a Samsung will have something to report. Maybe give it a couple of days before you replace the cable again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 here. I have two Samsung monitors and they're both a pain. The only way either will work well is to use DVI. Don't even try with HDMI or for that matter VGA.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.