MBP running really slowly

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a final cut editor and I've had my 17"mbp for just over a year. It is running really slowly already and I am now finding it frustrating to edit even simple videos. As soon as I start adding titles and making them move around the whole thing grinds to a halt.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to speed things up? I've got 4gb ram and the fastest hard drive that comes as a standard option, so I'm guessing it needs some kind of system clean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
When you say you have the fastest hard drive are you talking about SSD? Macs don't have TRIM support yet so SSD has been reported to slowdown overtime. I believe the stock hard drive was a 5400 RPM drive which is pretty slow IMO for what you are doing.

It could also be that your hard drive is getting full. Macs don't like it when your hard drive is close to full which can cause slowdowns. How much free space do you have? Try deleting some stuff.

Lastly if you do a lot of video editing then you will probably benefit from defragging the hard drive. iDefrag is the one many people recommend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.