MS Word 'out of memory'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook newly switched from decades on PC
I use MS word extensively and often insert Excel objects, Jpegs and other images. My standard document is around 45 - 50 pages and circa 12.5MB as a .doc or 45MB when saved as PDF. My problem is that the MacBook (2010) when using MS Word keeps telling me it's running out of memory and I have to save the .doc as a .docx - reboot and reload and rename the docx to a doc. Then its ok.

I would like to solve this but I live in Dubai and the Mac retailers here are poor - hence I bought mine in the UK whilst on a business trip.

Is there a memory upgrade available for the MacBook? - if indeed that's the problem.

Is there a solution to MS Word running out of memory?

I don't have Bootcamp so my MS and Mac stuff all fires up together.

Tim :Confused:

Reaction score
Are you running the Mac version of Word or are you using Fusion or Parallels to run Word for Windows? If the latter, you can adjust the RAM available to your virtual machine. And, let us know which version of Windows you are running - XP, Vista or Win7. How much RAM do you have in your MacBook? Thanks!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MS Word on MAC

Thanks for the reply - I'm using the MS software for Mac. and my tech details are below. Hope this helps.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.40f2
Serial Number (system): W89143928QT
Hardware UUID: DB1D1BF3-044F-5930-A8DB-F795B4D6D82E
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does any one know if you can password protect a single folder ?
I'm using MS 2008 on my MacBook and have some files in one particular folder that I don't want accessed by anyone else.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Don't know how to do that but you could always create an encrypted disk image with Disk Utility. See here.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know how to do that but you could always create an encrypted disk image with Disk Utility. See here.

Thanks you for the reply, looked into that but not what I'm trying for. I'm running MS widows on my Mac and have lots of folders, as usual, however some i need to password protect as their contents are private. Not to worry I'll keep looking.
Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you thought of TrueCrypt? It's another disk image encryption program but it's cross-platform so it will work in both OS X and Windows.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorted - use 'get-info' in finder on the folder u want to protect and then go to 'sharing & permissions' and change the access other users have. Then click 'lock file'.
Finally go to Apple System Preferences/Privacy and add in the files "NOT" to be searched.
It's not a total solutions as anyone using your sign-in can find them if they know where to look. If they don't Spotlight won't be able to see them.
For other account sign-in's the won't exist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.