VPN not working in Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I am unable to get either Cisco or PPTP VPN connections working on my Macbook Pro but they all work fine in my Windows XP Virtual Machine.

I run 10.6.4 but it has never worked since I got the machine. I actually upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard when I purchased the MBP but I don't know if it was working on Leopard.

Any ideas where I can start? Apple support are not interested in VPN problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You need to contact your system admin and ask them why it's not compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I've used Cisco VPN on 10.6 without problems, thought I could post just to confirm that it does work. Just be sure that you use Cisco to connect to a Cisco VPN, I don't think the Mac OS built-in VPN connects to Cisco.

I remember there was a strange problem with .pcf profiles that they only got picked up during installation and not later on. Are you using a profile provided by an admin?

Here's a link to a Cisco guide that might help you:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ducts_user_guide_chapter09186a008015cffe.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Are you using a Cisco add on client, or the built in networking? I use what is built into OSX and it works fine. There is really no need for the add on Cisco client. Do you have your shared secret correct? VPN group name correct? If you are using the Cisco client you should have a pcf file that contains all of the necessary connection data.

Reaction score
My VPN hates the snow!

I, also am having VPN issues with snow leopard. Have a VPN with rackspace using a linux server. works fine with iPad, iPhone, windows7, and ubuntu, all running thru the same router in my house but 10.6 won't work on wither of my 2 macbook pro or my imac. so it is definitely a 10.6 issue.
Spoke to a ahem..."genius", instore who suggested i send an email to support!!!!

i don't think they are using the word "genius" properly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I can tell you that using the VPN connection built into 10.6 works 100% with Cisco authentication. I use it everyday and never have any issues. With Cisco your VPN type needs to be set to Cisco IPSec and you need to have the group name and shared secret. More times that not the group name or shared secret are entered wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.