Mac GB increases

Reaction score
I need at least 2 Gigabytes of memory for a game I want to play, (I installed snow leopard) and I have only one. Can I increase GB by deleting things on my computer or do I have to buy more?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you talking "ram" or hard drive space?

If you're talking hard drive storage space...the term "memory" is the wrong term to use! If you're talking "ram"...you can only increase ram by physically installing more ram.

If you're confused by my answer...you should probably to do a little research on computing terms & how computers work before asking this question.:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you talking "ram" or hard drive space?

If you're talking hard drive storage space...the term "memory" is the wrong term to use! If you're talking "ram"...you can only increase ram by physically installing more ram.

If you're confused by my answer...you should probably to do a little research on computing terms & how computers work before asking this question.:)

HTH,

- Nick

I'm talking RAM. You commented on my last thread, so I know you read it, so I did upgrade to Snow leopard, and I'm not sure how to find how much RAM space I have. I just assumed i had one GB because that's the first thing I saw memory wise on my about this mac page, so if someone could tell me how to find that out, that would be appreciated. I know i have 128 MB of VRAM, is that the same thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 QuickSilver (2002) - single 800MHz CPU, 1.25 GB RAM, GeForce4 MX (64MB), 40GB, 10.5
I'm talking RAM. You commented on my last thread, so I know you read it, so I did upgrade to Snow leopard, and I'm not sure how to find how much RAM space I have. I just assumed i had one GB because that's the first thing I saw memory wise on my about this mac page, so if someone could tell me how to find that out, that would be appreciated. I know i have 128 MB of VRAM, is that the same thing?

Your amount of RAM should be on the "About this Mac" page, like here, so you were probably looking in the right place anyway.
If you need more than what you currently have installed, you have to add or swap out memory modules.
Make sure to get the right modules though and check what the maximum amount of RAM is your machine can take (and the individual RAM slots).

What kind of machine do you have? I see in the other thread you have an Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GHz and Snow Leopard installed already.

The VRAM you probably found under "More info..." -> "Graphics/Display". This is the Video RAM, meaning the "buffer" that is built into your graphics card. So unless you swap your graphics card for one with more VRAM you cannot increase it.
Onboard PC graphics cards often use part of your PCs RAM (shared memory) but I am not sure such a thing exists in the Mac world.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your amount of RAM should be on the "About this Mac" page, like here, so you were probably looking in the right place anyway.
If you need more than what you currently have installed, you have to add or swap out memory modules.
Make sure to get the right modules though and check what the maximum amount of RAM is your machine can take (and the individual RAM slots).

What kind of machine do you have? I see in the other thread you have an Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GHz and Snow Leopard installed already.

The VRAM you probably found under "More info..." -> "Graphics/Display". This is the Video RAM, meaning the "buffer" that is built into your graphics card. So unless you swap your graphics card for one with more VRAM you cannot increase it.
Onboard PC graphics cards often use part of your PCs RAM (shared memory) but I am not sure such a thing exists in the Mac world.

Yes, I have an iMac that was 10.4.11 but I upgraded it to 10.6.3. I have the game loading now, but I'm not sure if I can run it or not. And in the link, is the part that says 2 GB your RAM space? i have enough VRAM, but according to the games requirements on mac (i'll just post the link)
Mythic Entertainment | Warhammer Online ? Play the ENDLESS FREE trial! I need 1 more GB of RAM.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure why you're not yet "getting" that you need to buy and install more RAM in your computer yet, but here it is again:

You need to buy and install more RAM on your computer if the system requirements of this game say you need 2GB of RAM.

Call your favourite Mac dealer and ask them for a quote on doing this for you. You may be able to do this yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.