Is there an app to show us when msgs are received?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
It would really be helpful to me if I could tell when someone has checked either an SMS, MMS, email, and/or voicemail message that I've left? Is there an app out there that we can use that will send us a notification for when someone has checked these things?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I certainly hope not. It's no one's business to know when I choose to check my email or messages and whether I've chosen to reply or blow them off or simply have other matters of greater priority.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The closes things is a "read receipt", but it's not standard and only tends to work completely when used within a homogenous corporate environment where everyone is using the same e-mail system and client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I certainly hope not. It's no one's business to know when I choose to check my email or messages and whether I've chosen to reply or blow them off or simply have other matters of greater priority.

I believe that would be called "spyware," so no.

It's not "Spyware" by any means. Actually it's built into some SMS/MMS systems on some phones. Heck, my old Palm 700P would put a check mark next to an SMS/MMS when the receiving phone acknowledged receipt. That didn't mean the other person had read it, just that the other phone had in fact gotten the message and sent a machine receipt back (maybe it was the network acknowledging that the other phone had gotten it though). It was actually pretty handy and something I miss in the iPhone.

Some cell company is now advertising this feaster on one of the new Blackberry's IIRC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
What's a feaster? Does the iPhone 4 have them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
SMS receipts are sent when the carrier receives them, not the end recipient. So no guarantees there.... (it's certainly that way in the UK.... not sure about other countries)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.