Can I Make My iBook G3 running 10.4 tiger...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 15" screen, 1.0 GHz, 512MB Ram, 50GB HD, OSX Leopard 10.5.8
Dualboot linux ubuntu or windows if anybody knows if its possible please tell me
and if you know how to do please tell me,
if not possible i would like to know why,
?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First do you know what a Power PC G3, G4, G5 CPU is? It's not an X86 CPU. Windows only runs x86 architecture. All new Macs are Intel and that is why they run Windows.

You can run XP under Emulation if you don't mind even Free Cell dragging, but it's really not worth it.

You can get a Power PC version of Linux and run that. I am sure you could get it to Dual Boot with OSX but I have never messed with that on a Power PC machine.

So you ask why you can't? Because a Power PC CPU is not the same as an X86 Intel or AMD CPU. Totally different animal. :D

OP
HUNTERxWARD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 15" screen, 1.0 GHz, 512MB Ram, 50GB HD, OSX Leopard 10.5.8
Ok my ibook has a powerPC g3 processer in it can any one help me figure out how to get linux on the machine without taking off osx tiger, i want to be able to choose the operating system i want at startup :] thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.