Computer shuts off unexpectedly

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a strange problem with my late-2008/early-2009 MBP. In the last couple of days, I have been using it and the screen goes black suddenly. It happened once for just a few seconds and then recovered, but today it completely shut off-- even though the battery was mostly charged (and I had received no warnings)-- so I had to reboot.

A few possibly relevant facts about this computer and this incident:
1) I've had it over a year and never had this problem before.
2) I had the logic board replaced recently because of an issue with sleep mode. This problem never appeared before the logic board was replaced (although this may be a coincidence).
3) Both times the problem happened this week, the computer was running on battery power.
4) Earlier this week (before the incident), I got a little warning to "Check battery" or something similar. The warning went away, though. Maybe this is a faulty battery issue?
5) When the computer completely shut off, it was also running a Time Machine backup. I noticed that TM has been having trouble today-- giving warnings about errors. Not sure if this could be related.

Thanks in advance!
Nate

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.