How to do certain things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 320GB
So I'm a noobie to mac. I have the newest 15 inch mac pro i5 model. I'm curious as to how I can tab between 2 word documents i have side by side so I can efficiently take notes or study and stuff. Also in windows, you are able to put your mouse on one windows and scroll while still be able to type in the other windows if you know what I mean. Is there a setting for that? Im using mactopia i believe.

P.S. when doing command tab, it groups my word documents into 1 icon in command tab, so when i tab with that, i end up tabbing out of word documents and into firefox for example. I've been reading around and couldn't figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Do you mean MacBook Pro? There is a difference and it is helpful in most cases to understand exactly what machine you are referring to. Putting that info in your Profile will allow it to show up under your name and make it easier on everyone here to help.

When you are in Word (or just about any app) and have more than one document (window) open, you can switch between the 2 (or more) open documents (windows) by using command + ~. You were close with the command + tab, but as you've discovered, that switches between open applications. Use the command + ~ for switching between windows within an application.
In OS X, you can edit and type in one window while scrolling through another as long as it is visible on the screen. For example, I could have two Safari windows open with different web pages, typing on one (such as this post) and move my cursor over the other window, and using two-finger (on the trackpad) scroll, I could scroll through that other web page.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 320GB
thank you for that. The thing you told me about how i can edit one word doc while scroll in another doc does work in safari or firefox, however it does not apply for word documents. Just wondering if its just mactopia word document that doesn't allow me to do that. I mean, i CAN just tab back and forth, but I'm sure you can understand the beauty of being able to edit a word document while scrolling and reading in a different one.

But still, thank you very much for your much needed assistance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.