Just got apple TV need help

Reaction score
I am trying to sync movies and TV shows which I have bought on iTunes to the apple TV.

HOWEVER its taking days to sync a few gigs

I have 24' White iMac 2.16 and an old time capsule backup unit. Im running Snow leopard

Why is the sync taking so long.

Please help, this device is unusable at this speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Depends on how it's hooked up. Many gigs of video can take a while over wireless. It takes less time over the wire. You can still use it while it's syncing you know. And, you can always cancel the sync for now and run it over night. I might also suggest stopping the sync, and checking only a few items that you want to watch right now. Before bed, go back to it and check the rest of them and let it sync overnight.

OP
B
Reaction score
I am only syncing one movie, it is 1.7 gig at this rate its going to take over 5 hours. I am Syncing wirelessly.

is this normal, how can I speed it which of the below will make a difference in syncing speed.

1) A faster imac
2) Faster Internet connection
3) Changing the time capsule to the n type (I think I have the g type)

Thanks for the quick reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Wireless sync is the issue. I am wired in and can sync a full movie in no time at all. Is a wired connection an option at all? At least just to get the initial sync completed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What kind of router do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may be wrong, but there should be ethernet ports on the back of the router. You could use these to get the initial push of data completed. Yes, wireless N will move your data more quickly.

OP
B
Reaction score
Is my apple TV "Talking" to my Router which in turn is "Talking" to my mac.

i.e the imac does not talk directly to the apple TV

is the above correct,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basically, yes. The router is an intermediary between the two for all intent and purpose. Short of "enhancing" the Apple TV with some warranty-busting software, you are unable to link the two directly together. There are some pretty easy ways to get around this, but I don't believe ATV software enhancements are acceptable topics on these forums at present. Again, you may find that syncing a representative amout of content via the ethernet cable, and then streaming the rest is not a bad strategy. For example, I have the original ATV with a 40GB HDD. On it I have synced my relatively small iTunes library (12GB) and all of my iPhotos (about 10GB). I also have 3 or 4 movies and perhaps 5 TV shows on the ATV's internal drive. Everything else streams from my Mac Mini's external 1TB RAID via wireless N. Even wireless G has plenty of bandwidth to stream HD video content with excellent quality within one's own home.

OP
B
Reaction score
I think I have found the prob. (Thanks XJ-Lunux)

my router is stored in a closed cupboard, opening the cupboard of the router has resulted in a dramatic speed increase.

Originally I thought the iMac syncs directly with ATV and I had the iMac near the ATV. Now I realize its the router I have to concentrate on.

Im not interested in doing anything not approved by this site or apple,

Does an internal network need line of sight to work?

a 1.5 gig movie is now taking 20 minutes to sync and not 3 days. Does 20 minutes for 1.5 gig sound correct?

Thanks All, what a simple solution open the cupboard door.

C

chas_m

That sounds about right for "G" router. You should consider upgrading to an "N" router for faster copying speeds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.