iPad and XP

Reaction score
Recently my 24" (late 2006) died, and don't think I want to spend $772 to get a new power supply and LB. So since we used the iMac mainly for web, email, and photos/videos, maybe the iPad would work out for us and we can save a few dollars.
But the question is, with 20 gigs of photos/videos on the iMac, what's the best way to view them?
Our second computer is a PC running XP.
Thought about uploading all photos/videos to a 'cloud' based (like MobileMe or Picasa), but there's data limitations on that (as well as yearly fee).

Is there another way to view all those photos/video without having to load them on the iPad? Any way to connect to my PC and view over the network at home (but then when I'm away from home, how to view?) Can the pics be on an SD card?
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you're referring to your iMac that's no longer functioning? If so, the best way is to remove the hard drive from it and place it in a USB carrier. Attach the carrier to your PC and transfer the photos. If the photos are ones that you can't afford to lose, burn them to DVDs where they'll be safe.

An iPad is a great road warrior machine, but it wasn't designed to replace a fully functional computer either notebook or desktop.

Regards.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks, yes, its the iMac that is no longer functioning. Thanks for the USB carrier tip, I think I'll be doing that if we decide not to fix the iMac.
As for the photos, someone mentioned using iTunes..but I've loaded iTunes on the PC, and I don't see a photo section..where would I look?
Any flikr apps? Picasa apps out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.
Photobucket have a very nice app. :)

I've just had a search for a 'Picasa' app and the only one I can find is an unofficial one called 'iPicassa' for $0.99 which seems reasonable. However, I can't vouch for its reliability because I haven't tried it out.

If you're only viewing pictures then the iPad is great!

OP
U
Reaction score
well, I checked it out a little more, and I can have up to 20gigs of storage on my mac.com account (though shared with email), which would almost fit all my photos. Picasa can do 20 gigs (up to 1 TB, though its $256 a year). Picasa is $5 a year vs $100 for the mac.com account. I can upload to a Picasa web album and just use the net to view on ipad...so a solution, maybe not the most elegant.
And yes, I just view the photos, rarely do I crop/edit them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do remember this. The drive in your iMac is Formatted in a Mac format. A Windows computer stock will not read any Mac formatted drive. You would have to purchase an after market program called Mac Drive. Then Windows can both read and write to the Mac formatted drive.

OP
U
Reaction score
Do remember this. The drive in your iMac is Formatted in a Mac format. A Windows computer stock will not read any Mac formatted drive. You would have to purchase an after market program called Mac Drive. Then Windows can both read and write to the Mac formatted drive.

Thanks! Didn't know that. So in addition to reading the drive...will the photos easily convert/import into Picasa?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. Your photos will import into Picasa - no problem there. The only time you would need third party software to read your Mac formatted HD is if you were to attach it to a Win machine as dtravis7 pointed out. As far as photos go, a JPG is a JPG regardless of which format is used.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.