Migrating questions; to new iMac

Reaction score
If I do get a newer iMac, any suggestions on how to go about migrating?
Tips on streamlining the process and just moving over essential stuff?
I consider a new computer like moving into a new home and don't want to bring along too much clutter.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 27", MacBook Air 2010 13"
Well if you dont want to migrate everything you can prepare the most important stuff on an external HDD. But if you want to move Programs and such then migration is the only way.

OP
U
Reaction score
hmmm, thanks.
yeah, I really don't need to migrate too much software, as all the programs come on new macs, and misc. things that i like can be downloaded.
An external drive should be good as long as some of the files for standard programs can be pulled in to new applications... from the ext. drive.

I do have an external drive now, doing back up... not sure how that works, but wouldn't that be the thing to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 27", MacBook Air 2010 13"
Well yes it would.
I do also believe that you can adjust the Time Machine backup to not save all the stuff but only selected things, which you can migrate on the New Mac then....

Reaction score
Yeah time machine can doit, if you have it, if not, you can connect both computers with a firewire cable and use the migration assistant...

you can also choose to do applications IF you want them, if not, you can just transfer your user account, and settings (so you bookmarks, desktop background, even the size of you dockbar transfer over)

Firewire cables cost between $15-$30 from apple, or you can get them cheaper else where online.

Also remember, that if you get your new mac from an apple store, then they will transfer your data for you for FREE, and if you order it online, talk to the apple store first, they might still doit for free if asked nicely :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.