Upgrading Windows in Bootcamp

Reaction score
I know this has probably been discussed on countless occasions throughout these forums, but my situation has a little twist. Let me explain, and I hope somebody can help.

I got the download edition of Windows 7 home premium a while back, and then not so long ago it started telling me that it was an upgrade only version rather than the full version, despite having done a perfect fresh install several times. Anyway, suffice it to say i called MS support and they basically just logged in and activated my install, a one time only fix. Since then I have bought a 15" Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz Core i5) and want to install Windows 7 using bootcamp.

However, instead of buying a new copy of Windows 7, or alternatively having a ridiculous conversation witha MS support guy, I simply do a clean install and then do an upgrade before I activate (stupid I know, but hey). So what I need to do is install Windows 7 using bootcamp and then upgrade it from within Windows.

So what I want to know is whether first of all it is possible, secondly whether I will still have all the access a traditional boot camp install gives you to the OS X partition.

Any help would be much appreciated as I need to install Windows for some college work using MS Access and Excel amongst other things.

Thanks,
Rob
Twitter: @R0bNichols

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try the instructions given at this web site. LINK

Many users have installed the Windows 7 upgrade "clean" using Boot Camp, myself included. Please note, however, that in keeping in the spirit of complying with the MS EULA regarding upgrades, that you should already own a licensed copy of an upgrade eligible Windows version. (XP or Vista)

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, I do own various copies of XP and Vista and various versions (home, ultimate etc.) so I'm sure that I have at least one which is eligible.

Thanks for the link,
Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.