White 13" Macbook has problems with Acer 22"

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a white Macbook (C2D) hooked up via an mini VGA adapter to a 22" Acer X223W. All is well, except when I set the monitor to its native resolution (1680x1050) the right edge of the screen shifts to the middle of the monitor. Every other resolution takes up the full space. When I identify displays, it appears that the macbook is somehow identifying part of the monitors screenspace as its own because I see the red square stretching over. I have tried several different options, to no avail. Right now I have shifted the horizontal settings as far as they will go, but it still leaves a gap of of about two inches. Very frustrating, any ideas?

Iota

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, try to go with using DVI rather than VGA. After that, make sure you have the display preference set for "mirror" rather than "extended desktop" mode.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Have you tried adjusting the hertz? My macbook does this with my Vizio if I don't change the hertz from 60 to 65. Should be right under the tab for adjusting the resolution.

It's a pain, but keep messing with it, you'll get it working right. I had to do silly things like turn the monitor off and on and restart my macbook with the monitor plugged in. Took me awhile, but after adjusting the hertz, turning off the monitor and restarting, I got mine to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.