Molecule Drawing Programs?

L

Littleweseth

I'm looking around for a program similar to ACD/Chemsketch (acdlabs.com) for windows, except running on a Mac (preferably natively written, not ported). Right now i'm (trying) to use a program called XDrawChem, which appears to be a dodgy port of a sourceforge project. It's kludgy, very kludgy.

EDIT: I should problably be more specific. I'm looking for something to draw 2D diagrams of molecules.

Anyone else know anything, or I am the only one who would actually want software like this? (i know i'm a geek. shaddap :p)

OP
L

Littleweseth

iMol isn't quite what i'm looking for - as far as i know, it doesn't let me draw 2D diagrams, just look at 3d models (though the models look really, really nice.... screenshot time!)

I found something else called CambridgeSoft ChemDraw - but their download process is so involuted that i've had to provide way more personal information than i like, and it didn't get me anywhere near the demo - and apparently no one likes the program anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Great program (iMol)! and people say chemistry is not fun.

OP
L

Littleweseth

and people say chemistry ain't fun?

tell them to get a load of that buckytube, and all those other cool molecules! I bet if they knew that, at the molecular level, everything is rainbow coloured, everyone would rush to look.....

too bad there's no real 'light' at molecular level :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Littleweseth said:
too bad there's no real 'light' at molecular level :p

everything's just little photons, huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.