Suggestion: Using iPhone volume buttons for..

Reaction score
Suggestion: Using the volume buttons for absolutely anything an app developer wanted.

Face it, there are some apps that would just work so much better if they had some easy hotkeys; conveniantly located when your index finger rests on the volume key (when you turn the iphone sideways). JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

Of course, they could still be used as volume keys if you wanted them to. Using the same structure as found in the Notifications settings page.
Select the app, change what you allow to go through, and switch "Allow app to use volume keys" from OFF to ON.
(Default would be OFF and request for permission notification would pop up at application's discretion)

Hoping for petition numbers etc or constructive criticism.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Personally I don't like the idea. The volume keys serve a specific purpose, they're not multi-function keys.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well what don't you like about the purpose. Only problem I forsee is complications during a call/ listening to music.

For this purpose, the function would have an auto-override during phonecalls, and music would be turned up or down via touchpad.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm sure Apple's HID will have something to say about re-purposing the volume buttons away from it's intended purpose of controlling the volume..an application might be rejected for that reason alone..

Regards

Reaction score
Actually, that's exactly how a developer should think. It had never occurred to me that they be used as hot keys.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well the way I see it is this: Everyone knows apple loves their products looking like a big smooth -ahem-
So natrually, they don't like things sticking out or ruining their perfect flat surface. But they're there now, might as well utilize them for everything they could be used for. Not to mention it would be great for their marketing department, seeing as they always want to be adding more stuff to the iphone. How sexy would "New multifunctional volume button functions" look on their advertisements?! VERY SEXY!!!;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.