macbook pro goes up to 80 Celsius playing Starcraft 2

Reaction score
I've got a Macbook Pro unibody. Purchased it a few months ago (Feb or Apr 2010). Running on Snow Leopard (10.6.4) 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb 1067 MHz DDR3 Ram.

I set the Macbook Pro for "Higher Perfomances" (System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Higher performance), which I believe sets the video card to use the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (512 MB).

I started playing Starcraft 2 online and realised that iStatMenus reports the CPU temperature at 80 Celsius. Depending on the day. I can play for 3-4 hours straight. The game runs smoothly at medium settings and no delays at all. The top left part of the laptop gets hot. However, not hot enough to feel uncomfortable. The fans kicks in at 5000+ RPM. I understand that there's a forced shutdown fail-safe built in, in the event of extreme temperatures. If it's too hot the machine will just shut down. I am more concerned about having it run too hot and prematurely wear down components in the future. Should I be worried about this or should I put my trust in the machine and firmly believe that 80C is just fine for this task?

I know of smcFanControl (3rd party software). But havent had the need to use it since the fans are at appropriate speeds. Or is it not?

The post at this forum suggests, that this is normal. Even for other tasks (encoding and etc).
Are this temps normal (Macbook pro 13 - 2010) - Mac Forums

I could get a cooling pad to lower down the temperature a bit.

What are your thoughts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What are your thoughts?

80°C is pretty warm...but probably not a problem. Other folks have reported 90+°C...and they're still around to talk about it!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
The general conclusion you would get if you searched around the forums a bit is that, if your Mac is getting dangerously hot, it will shut down. Your Mac is very smart and will not let itself hurt itself. As long as you're using it on a well ventilated desk or table and not on a bed or the floor, I would say don't worry about it. If it shuts down because of high temperatures, that's the time to worry and look for what the problem/solution is.

P.S. - *Darn* you for having SC2. Lol. I was invited to the Beta but could never get the download working and don't have money to buy it right now.

OP
K
Reaction score
So I shouldn't worry about hardware damage or wear-down over time? These macs are built for that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Heat will always shorten the life of electronics...any electronics.

But, that temp is pretty normal on a Mac for a game like that.

Reaction score
It's interesting that you post the exact same question and reply, verbatim, here and at macrumors......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 4GB... iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G
It's interesting that you post the exact same question and reply, verbatim, here and at macrumors......

Obviously looking to get more than one perspective for his question... Do you not 'shop around' when buying items - cars, cameras, TV's etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
not sure if this suggestion will help with a unibody... but while gaming on my MBP I take off the memory cover (00 screwdriver) and place MBP on a laptop cooler (nzxt) with 3 fans pulling the air out of the laptop, also I have smcFanControl maxing out internal fans @ 6000rpm.

FYI since using smcFanControl I HAVE had to replace one of my fans-the bearing went on it.

with both of these working together I game at about 55 celsius. nothing on the laptop is hot to the touch.

hope this helps?..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
not sure if this suggestion will help with a unibody... but while gaming on my MBP I take off the memory cover (00 screwdriver) and place MBP on a laptop cooler (nzxt) with 3 fans pulling the air out of the laptop, also I have smcFanControl maxing out internal fans @ 6000rpm.

FYI since using smcFanControl I HAVE had to replace one of my fans-the bearing went on it.

with both of these working together I game at about 55 celsius. nothing on the laptop is hot to the touch.

hope this helps?..

I highly recommend against this practice.... maxing out your fans is going to shorten the life of the fans, yet alone other components.
I'm not surprised you had to replace one of your fans!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
what other components will be compromised by maxing out your fans?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Other than battery life, it is unknown as to what damage it can do as far as the logic board goes, or that coming from the excessive constant vibration.
Macs are designed the way they are for good reason, by engineers who have put much time into it.
As far as dissembling a laptop for gaming operation, and leaving it vulnerable to things getting into it, and having the fans go full ball, is just not a very good idea, especially for someone with a relatively new Mac.
The OP's MBP is running at totally acceptable temps, esp while playing Starcraft 2, yet alone if he/she were just on a Skype video chat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.