TIGER 10.4 Install problem, freezing after WELCOME message

Reaction score
Hi, I have a POWERBOOK G4 1.3GHz. I just purchased an iMac 27" and wanted to wipe my laptop G4 clean to give to my brother. The laptop was working fine just wanted to start NEW. I have an original TIGER 10.4 DVD. I did the install and the 1st time I got an error message. I did the install again and it went thru but it's always FREEZING on the welcome message. Sometimes the welcome message audio "skips and freezes". Sometimes It passes the Welcome and after it asks me for my @mac.com address and password, it freezes.

I must have done the install 10 times, the further I made it was to the desktop and the I get a GREY SQUARE telling me to hit the power key a few seconds and it's written in about 6 different language and everything is frozen. But now, it won't pass the welcome message at all.

When I had the problem I was afraid it was my hard drive that was going bad so I just put a new one in and the SAME problem is happening.

I need an answer to this problem, I have no idea what else to do and I need this laptop working for my brother. Thanks all! :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Kernel panic. Try reseating the RAM, and if that doesn't change anything, consider replacing the RAM.

The Tiger disk. You say "original" - is it the black-coloured one?

Last port-of-call may be Disk Warrior, in order to analyse what's wrong, and to reformat the drive (old or new).

OP
T
Reaction score
Problem solved

Hi, before I read your message I had tried everything Pram and all. Then I remembered when I changed the HD that one of the ram chip was NOT an apple one. So, I took the RAM chip out and did the install again and it did it NO PROBLEM and also did the 10,000 updates that followed.

But, I now have a NEW QUESTION:

Can I put the RAM chip back in the laptop since it was working with it before? I guess the worse that can happen is that the RAM wont work if it's bad. Is this correct?

Is it possible that the RAM wont work for the ERASE/INSTALL of the OS but will work now that the install is done?

Thanks!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Please provide more detail of the RAM module you removed. If it's high-density, PC-compatible, it may be the cause of the problem. You appear to have eliminated one cause of the earlier malfunction, so all I can suggest is to 'leave well alone'.

If you need more RAM in the PB, get some from here Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC. Not the cheapest, but you can rest assured you'll get the right product.

OP
T
Reaction score
Which memory do I need

Hi,

I tried the RAM chip again and it's not working so I took it out and it's qorking again. Now, I need to get another 512 chip or more. Can someone tell me I need?

I have a POWERBOOK G4 TITANIUM 1.33GHz

Also in ABOUT THIS MAC, it's telling me the APple chip in there is a:
SODIMM1/J23REVERSED 512MB DDR SDRAM PC2700U-25330

So, I went to the link listed above but I have no idea which chip I need:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure it's the Titanium, and not Aluminium? I can find no reference to a 1.33 GHz TT, which only went as far as 1 GHz. Can you post the Model Identifier, like this ... PowerBook5,1 to PowerBook6,4?

Anyway, it looks like this is the RAM for your machine: Apple PowerBook G4 'aluminum' 12", 15", and 17" Memory Upgrades.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.